Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass arrived today (2nd this week)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Oct 22, 2002.

1. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Traded my VJ for this: Mike Lull Modern-4, Lindy Fralin pups, Bart pre amp, Alder body, Cocobolo fretboard, AWESOME sound and feel. :cool:

[​IMG]

2. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    sexy:D

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Nice james, and a good choice too. Hopefully this helps your search out a bit?

You still got the peavey cab?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Nice!! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Fralins after you've spent a little more time with it.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, as SoCom says - Did Fralin make the pups to your tastes??? And if so, how did you describe/spec them to him???

The reason I ask is because I talked to Larry Pollack at Aero pickups a couple of times. He whipped so much pickup tech-speak on me, I really didn't couldn't grasp all that he was talking about. (I gave him my luthier's phone number as a result).

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    thats a NICE bass,, JB- congrats!!

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Very nice! How much does it weigh?

brad cook

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    wow... very very cool!

I dig the finish!

P@

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah I like those mike lull basses. They is so nice and purty.. makes me want to steal yours.. not that I would do such a thing.... or would I?

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Outstanding quilted top!

Like other posters, I'd like to hear your comments on the sound of the Fralins. If possible, give us a comparison relative to the more common Jazz pick ups like Barts, EMGs, or Fenders.

11. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    JB,
    Nice top and finish! Bet it sounds great!

12. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Very nice! And two in one week that should be illegal!!

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    My initial take on the sound was ...Wow! I put on some new strings (D'Addario Slowounds 45-100) and couldn't put the bass down for an hour. Seriously, I thought to myself, "If it get's any better than this, I don't want it".

- The only other Jazz type bass I've ever owned is the Modulus VJ that I traded to get this Lull. The Modulus was passive and the ONLY reason I traded it was because I wanted a VJ with quilt top and rear mounted controls. There is no true comparison between the two. (A comparioson between the Modulus VJ and my Zon would be better) The graphite necked Modulus has so much spank and growl it didn't need a preamp. But the Lull, with the Fralins and preamp, produces so many different wonderful sounds I have to plan ahead for practise.

14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Not to preach, BUT - compulsory practice as opposed to practicing whenever you have idle time will separate you from "the pack."

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    WOW. That's one nice bass. Congrats!!!!

16. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    You're so right! Please let me rephrase. The Lull is not my "keep out on the stand" compulsory practice bass. I'm using the Warrior for that.

When I want to play the Lull, I set aside ample time--becasue I know I won't want to stop.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Woooah! That's a beaut!

Oh, for those asking about Fralin pups: the passive PJ set in my P5 are very bright and growly (a good thing IMO)... they almost sound active at times. I should mention that my P5 has an ash body with maple cap, so that's probably the source of the bright/growly. Regardless, it's a nice bass and I get nice tone from it.