1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

new bass at rondo

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JordanDrinksTea, May 15, 2006.

1. checked rondo's site and they have this new Brice Z4 4-string.

active picks ups.

thought it was interesting.

any one have any experience with it or any general knowledge?

heres the link

http://www.rondomusic.net/z4nat35.html

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    Hmm, price is really creeping up there. It's no longer in the range of "Rondo impulse GAS relief." heh.
    Looks nice though, wonder how it compares to other stuff in the 4-500 range.

3. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Well, just going by the features, from my experience, you'd pretty much need to double that price to find those features in another bass. And going by their reputation, i'd call that bass a total steal.

4. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    That bass has been on there for quite some time and has been talked about a lot in the Essex Megathread. I personally think the bass is totally disgusting looking and waaaaaay overpriced, especially because the 6 string version is the exact same price, and rondomusic has a reputation for selling quality basses at a low price.

5. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I really wouldnt trust it. Active electronics in a budget bass just sounds like a disaster. IME, no electronics is better than cheap electronics. Ive never played a Brice, but I probably wouldnt invest in something like that.

6. Looks like an Ibby SDGR a bit. I like the Brice headstock better though.

7. I can think of other basses in the same price range that are WAY better (Schecter California Custom 4 Jazz Copy)..

8. It looks very nice, but at that price I wouldn't buy it before I played it.

lowsound

9. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Looks play, decent features etc. But for that price I can get a bass with a warranty and better trade in value with the same features for just about the same price.

10. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    As a 6 string the Brice Prestige Z is very competitively priced, it's a lot of bass for $450. But I agree, for the same coin the 4 string is in a pretty crowded field. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out for Rondo .....

Generally, though, the Prestige Z series basses are very good instruments, well constructed with nice electronics. No need for the usual Rondo upgrades/mods ...... :cool:

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Not anymore. However, Kurt has a great rep for standing behind his products, so at the least, you would not be buying "blindly" from some unknown dealer.

12. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I think it's perhaps a little too expensive to consider a "Rondo steal".

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Surprised it's no cheaper at all than the 6 string. I'm considering picking up a 6 string to become my test rig for all my various ideas which include midi and odd tunings. The 4 string needs to be made cheaper to be competitive IMO.