1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass! Beautiful MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Sep 13, 2002.

1. I've been thinking about getting one, I don't think they're available here so I'll probably have to talk to Gard. Do they make a big difference and do they fit in right away?

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    that's bass ir really great looking one! i love MIM jazz and midnight wine is the nicest finish available.

i am considering one too to complement my MIA P and my rickenbacker.

3. I thought the MIM jazz had black strat knobs?

4. So, if I understand things correctly Gunnar said something in the line of: "he did cost 58.000 krónur and he is new. There's more at [...] good [...] did cost to move himself in."
    Eh, I might be wrong. :D

Nice bass BTW. Enjoy!

5. Hey, that's pretty close! The second line is: I think that's pretty good considering what it would cost to import it myself. How'd you do that? :)

Anyway, I'm off to par-tee as they say. Hasta la vista!

How many of you know that "Hasta la vista" is translated as: "Ceerio"? You'll never look at Terminator the same way again.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    not that im doubting you, and its a very nice looking bass, but i thought the mim's body wood was poplar and the mia's were alder or ash, i ask this cos my mim dlx is poplar and my mia was alder

7. Well, Icelandic is more or less Swedish with an added "ur" at the end of every word, right? :D (The expression "thongur knifur" [don't have any clue about how it's supposed to be spelled, sorry] springs to mind :D). So, some of us "utlänningar" might understand what you and Icez talk about... ;)

If I ever heard you actually say something, I'd be lost though. Or, at least that's my experience from hearing Icelandic people in conversation.

8. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    According to the fender website mim fender's are alder.

9. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    So when you take off the "ur", you get THONG KNIF.

What is that?

Sounds like something you'd use to cut the thong off your lover on special occasions....Man, y'all got some interesting customs over there. Hey, I'm mostly Finnish, and that's not far from you, maybe that's why I can relate..:D

10. In this instance you'll have to actually hear how it's pronounced (it's a line from the infamous Icelandic movie series of which "Hrafn flygur" [sp?] is a part, can't remember from which movie though), since I tried to write it as phoenetically as possible. Then, if you take away the "urs" you'll get something cloose to "tung kniv" in Swedish. Which, according to this site, might become "raskas veitsi" in Finnish. But, don't quote me on that.
    Anyhow, it might not be all that wise to use one of those on your thong wearing honey though. :eek:

11. And us Icelanders can get the general gist of what you're talking about from years of having Danish forced upon us. ;)

12. Love your user title. :D

13. Fender made upgrades to all MIM's last year (MIM's that were made last year that is). The bodies got upgraded to Alder, the Jazzes got black traditional knobs along with the bridge pickup now having that extra 1/8(?) of an inch for easier upgrade, and the P got knurled knobs. I think they got a couple new finishes, too, but I'm not sure on that.

14. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I've got the 5 string version of this bass, same color. I agree, it's a beautiful bass BUT it could have been built better with just a little more attention to detail. Two glaring examples:

1. The string spacing at the bridge is too narrow; the strings do not pass over the pickups in the center of each pair of poles (5 pairs of poles per pickup). It needs about another 1/8 inch to be perfect.

2. On mine, the neck pickup was mounted too high, actually higher than the bridge pickup. No chance of proper string alignment with this setup!

I will be replacing the bridge with a wider model, and I removed the pickguard, lowered the pickup, and re-mounted the pickguard and control plate and now it looks correct and you can't tell it was ever modified. I paid $299 for this bass, brand new. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it.

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Isn't it extremely easy to change the height of the pickups? Just loosen the screws to raise it and tighten to lower. Easy as pie.

16. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    {Isn't it extremely easy to change the height of the pickups? Just loosen the screws to raise it and tighten to lower. Easy as pie.}

You misunderstand. The neck pickup was too high when viewed from the front of the bass, towards the top edge of the bass, not towards the strings themselves. I had to remove the pickguard, unscrew the 4 screws holding the pickup, re-drill 4 new screw holes about 1/8 inch lower in the pickup route (towards the bottom edge of the bass), re-install the pickup, and then realign the pickguard and control plate to their new locations (again, about 1/8 inch lower than before), drill all new holes, and reinstall all pickguard and control plate screws. And after all that, it still looks factory fresh!

17. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Gotcha.