Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Body Shape

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GrooveWarrior, Apr 11, 2005.

1. This is the body shape I have drawn up for a bass I am going to have built. Thoughts / suggestions?

I actually started with Jon Clark's Marchlewski design (sorry for not asking) and started erasing and re-shaping, and came to this. It now reminds me of something else, but I can't place it. It will be a maple neck through (neck through showing with wings attached) with a birdseye fretboard with no inlays. For the wings I am thinking about doing a cocobolo top, ash core, and wenge back.

I'd love to hear thoughts on the design or any experiences with similar wood choices.

Attached Files:

2. nice shape!!

I am not too up on my woods though, good luck with the project.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Kinda reminds me of a cross between a Roscoe and a Warwick Fortress.

I don't particularly like the upper horn, but you aren't building it for me. :D It does look like it shouldn't have any problem with balancing, though.

4. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Looks like a Warwick Fortress

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I like it, I'm sure it'll work fine

6. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Slightly Rickenbacker-ish? Specially the upper horn.

7. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Looks pretty sweet, but if i were you i would try to make the lower horn look like the top but pointing inwards. Looks good though, nice job

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
  9. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE IT NOW.

10. That's it! It's funny, because I told the guy who is building it that the guitar he is building (see attachment) looks like a guitar version of a Ristola, then I started drawing this one.

11. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    no sweat my friend! Stambaugh had a lot to do with my initial designs, as did my Warwick Fortress! hahaha... but I think Ristola worked for Chris... its just one big loop of cool ideas! Looks great!

12. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Man don't change it. It doesn't look exactly like a fortress. Personally I think it looks way better than a fortress. :)

13. Thanks for the kind words. It really pained me to take the eraser to the page once I had gotten Wolf's shape down. That bass is one of the most striking instruments I have ever seen. It's funny how these things are all connected. I'm really not that sad that it resembles a Fortress, a Ristola, a Stambaugh, a Marchlewski, etc. Now if I can just decide on which wood combination to go with.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  15. I had never seen one of those. Nice bass.

16. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Great idea you got going there, you have a lot of cool options from what you have there. I took your idea and downsized it a bit so it wouldn't look as close to these basses but still have the original idea. Let me know what you think.

P.S. Hope you don't mind me doing this, not trying to steal your idea just trying to help you buddy:)