1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass budget 500 euro, any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scorpy Jacobs, May 27, 2011.

1. Epiphone Rumblekat

3 vote(s)
    1.9%
  2. Used Music Man Sub Bass

28 vote(s)
    17.3%
  3. Ibane ATK

28 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. Squier Vintage Modifed P bass

7 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Squier Classic Vibe P Bass

20 vote(s)
    12.3%
  6. Mexican Fender P Bass

15 vote(s)
    9.3%
  7. Japanese Fender P Bass

57 vote(s)
    35.2%
  8. SX bass Seymour Duncan quarter pounders, Bad Ass II Bridge

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Scorpy Jacobs

Scorpy Jacobs

May 27, 2011
    I am currently a bass player in 2 bands, with no bass, i am using a friends Mexican P Bass for now, but am in the market for my own. I have set a budget of 500 euro, but would be willing to go up by 100 euro or so if the extra could make the difference sound and playability wise. any other options other then the ones i have listed would be greatly appreciated.

Some of the options i have thought about are The Epiphone Rumblekat Allen Woody signature(I just love the look, and I have heard the sound aint bad either), i have seen a used Music man sub bass for sale for 400 on a site, an ibanez ATK,squier Classic vibe and vintage modified P-bass or a low end fender such as a mexican or japanese. i have also read good things about Modding SX or squier basses and have thought about this, considering i am on a budget. The mods i considered are putting Seymour Duncan Quarter punder bass lines and a Bad Ass II Bridge, and changing the pots, although i don't know much about that at the moment i could research before i did it. I am looking for a bass with a good deep punchy tone,good for a classic rock sound (not aiming to sound like wooten or any of the virtuoso types, and slap isn't a nessecity either). I own an Ampeg B3. i would really appreciate soom informed views on the matter, as i am really undecided on what to do.

2. It seems like what you really want is a P bass, from your list. I'd suggest the Classic Vibe Squier, then put a few of those mods you intended for the SX on it down the road.

3. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I can't comment on your other choices because I have no experience with them but the Rumblekat has exactly the tone you describe you're looking for. One caveat. That is about the extent of it's tonal range. You can get the action very low and it sounds great with a set of Alembic Compression wounds (.045 -.105 ). The only complaint I had with it is the floating bridge can be a pain to adjust if you haven't dealt with it before. Great bass for rock.

4. Scorpy Jacobs

Scorpy Jacobs

May 27, 2011
    thanks man, i just like how you get a nice fat tone with the P bass without having to do much EQing, as far as the mods go, would the Seymour Duncan Bass Lines be a big improvement from the sotck on the Classic vibe?

5. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    How about a used Japanese Fender Precision?

They're good, maybe even better than what you think it is.
    Secondly, you used to play the Precision, so it'll be natural for you.

My 2 cents,... Hope it helps.

Cheers
    :)

6. Scorpy Jacobs

Scorpy Jacobs

May 27, 2011
    thanks, i appreciate your comments, it is no big concern for me that it only does the one sound, because i am only looking for one sound, and i want that deep bass rock tone to be my signature tone as such. i am actually quite glad that the rumblekat is getting some good feedback on this post, i really just expected people to spam the sub bass. and besides, if it really comes to it that i need to expand my tone, i could just get another bass, i am all for having a collection :p

7. Scorpy Jacobs

Scorpy Jacobs

May 27, 2011
    i have recently read on this website that japanese are actually superior to the mexican. Any comment?

8. I think the Duncans would be a nice upgrade, but the Quarter Pounder's might be too hot for you unless you are wanting nothing but rock. I had some in a P and ended up having to swap them out because I couldn't tone them down when I wanted to. You might check out the Hot version, you can get more variety out of it.

IMHO/YMMV on all of that, of course. Used Duncan QPs come up on the Classifieds on Talkbass all the time for $25-45 so its not a huge waste if you don't dig it.

9. Scorpy Jacobs

Scorpy Jacobs

May 27, 2011
    could you suggest any other good replacement P bass pick ups?

10. I got my ESP/LTD AX-404 for 500 euro, and it's quite awesome. You should consider LTDs as well, they're really well made (but non-EMG pickups aren't that great).

11. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Just picked up my first 80's MIJ P-Bass here on Talkbass... Wonderful instrument out of the box stock!!!

Have had great luck with 3 other CIJ instruments and have kept the '51 re-issue (others were a Jaco Jazz and a Sting artist series)

12. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    IMHO & IME:
    True.. Even better than most of USA Fender

And IMHO: PickUp Replacement isn't necessary, unless the stock is broken. I mean the stock PU is good.

13. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    All my & my friends experience with CIJ Fender are like that

14. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
  15. treekiller

treekiller

Mar 4, 2010
    Iowa
    My main gigging bass has been a MIM P that I swapped out the guard for tort., upgraded the pots, and dropped in a 62 RI pup. The neck profile is identical to my MIA P. However I had always wanted a Jazz with a P neck. With that in mind I recently picked up a used MIM Jazz to swap out the neck with an Allparts neck. The result is amazing and it has now become my "go to" bass. Total cost was just under $700 USD. If can find the right one, MIM basses can be a great buy for the $$$. The key is having a pro set-up and fret leveling if necessary.

As far as quality, I have never heard of a bad Japanese Fender although I have never really played one myself.

16. sssphd

sssphd

May 27, 2011
    I have a mexican fretless Jazz bass, all I did to it was change the pups for some less noisy dimarzios. The tone and dynamic range are excellent, and I think it all cost me under $500. I do have to tune it a lot.

My sub was bought used about $400 and has more versatile tone; it was my main fretted bass before the Alembic. The sub is a little more hi-fi and unforgiving, forcing you to clean up your style (if it needs it as mine did) to eliminate spurious string and fret noises. But it sounds fantastic, stays in tune, and can be set up low without having any buzzy spots.

I don't know anything bad about any of the others, just have experience with these two.

17. It depends on what you're looking for. I voted for the Quarter Pounders and Badass bridge just because this combination gives any bass an agressive and punchy sound, and I love the attack of the Quarter Pounnders and the clarity of that bridge. But if you want a deep sound, this is not for you. I'm more into bright and treble. Although I think a bright sound is perfect for any kind of rock music, if you don't like it, don't get these. Instead, go to a music store and try some Japanese Fenders. The Ps sound great but the mexican one has more treble, as it comes with the Badass bridge (I'm talking about the Highway One Precision). The Squiers will do just fine, but if you play bass for more than 2-3 years, you'll want much more quality (believe me, I own Squier Affinity P Bass and it souns great, but as my skills evolve, I need more quality to suit them: getting an Am. Standard P Bass next week!). The Ibanez ATK is a great bass, but I don't think it's what you're looking for (it's not my idea of a classic rock bass). That leaves you with two options: the Japanese Fender, and the used Music Man. The P-Bass is THE classic rock bass. It's amazing. Dee Dee Ramone, Roger Waters, Mike Dirnt, Glen Matlock, Steve Harris, Paul Simonon... It's perfect for you! The Music Man, although it suits your sound description very well, with an agressive, deep and truly versatile tone, it's not a classic rock bass, and although you'll be happy using the P-Bass just for that, it'll be a waste of money buying a Music Man just for that. In fact, it's a crime if you don't slap on a Music Man. Also, it's used, so it may not be in the best conditions. But the main difference is, while the Music Man is a bass made for any bassist, the P-Bass was especially made for classic rock (it was the first bass guitar, created by Leo Fender in the 50s, when rock n' roll was starting to make a name in music and bassists needed to move themselves easily and have a lighter and more comfortable instrument), so you'll be much more satisfied.

So, my advice: buy a Japanese Fender P-Bass.
    If not, buy a Squier Affinity P and change the Pups, maybe for the Basslines SPB-1 (Vintage) or SPB-2 (Hot). If not, find a Sub and give it a try, you'll not regret it!

I really hope it helped!

18. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    On that list, I think the SUB would blow them all away. (With the Japan P a close second)

19. Scorpy Jacobs

Scorpy Jacobs

May 27, 2011
    Thanks for your advice

i get the impression you have mistaken me for a beginner. i have played guitar for 11-12 years, and bass on and off for as long. i just don't own my bass gear, and i am now in the market, i knew the sound i wanted to get, i just wanted to get some opinions.

I have already found a sub bass for 400 euro, i don't know what the equivalent is in dollars, i am really really not a fan of the affinity series, so i won't be taking this option.

I am still undecided,but, I have narrowed my choices down with the help of yourself and everyone on this thread. I am now either going to go for

Japanese P Bass
    Used Music Man SUB
    Classic Vibe P bass (and i might change the P-ups further down the line)
    Epiphone Rumblekat (Like i said before, i just really love the look of this bass, which i know is probably the least important factor)

i am probably either going to go for one of the Music man or Japanese Fender, or both the squier and the epi