Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass...but this is not "my last bass 4-ever"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rickreyn, Sep 5, 2002.

1. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Arrived by UPS at lunch time well packed. Cracked opened the case and saw this blond and beautiful babe for the first time--in person. Had plenty of photos from the seller--someone who has recently been on a quest to get "his last bass 4-ever." Two hours of playing time I am told in a hermetically sealed environment. Almost direct from Chicago in April. This will be my lightest bass, and thank you Lord, a return to my beloved maple neck. I hope this thing sounds good. Anyway, I am not promising anything to anybody. This may or may not be my last bass, but it will be my only bass come Monday! ;)

2. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Awesome bass! I really like the fret board

3. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Nice bass. Your photographer must be a cool dude. :cool:

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    That's a sweet bass. I've always wanted that color with a tortoise (sp?) p/g.

5. Mmmm, nice Lakland!

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    Mmmmm....nice bass!

More pictures? :p

7. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Another front.

8. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The back.

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    The neck.

10. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Front in low lighting. Photo credits to JRB.

11. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Well? Have you plugged it in yet?

12. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    First, my shoulder has not yet cramped, so that is a start. Old Warwick injury. This bass has so many variations it's going to take an eternity to settle on my sound. So I'll just settle on having a bunch of sounds. First thing I noticed was that the punch is there. Gotta have that punch. That is a good starting point. The neck is smooth and fast, and I have a nice resting place for my thumb on the big pickup. I don't know where to set the mids. I changed them to 700 from 500, but I don't know what I really like. I'll have to experiment unless a Lakland guy can help. This is my Stingray 5 with all the things I would add to it: 35", a jazz pickup and Barts, string through. And it doesn't have what I don't want: lbs. So far, I'm not missing the Cirrus, and the jazz tones of the Elrick are in there somewhere. The test will be playing with the group. I am pretty sure this thing will fit in nicely. Oh, yeah, it really looks nice. But you guys with the exotics (Ken Smiths and Roscoes), what's another Lakland to you! ;)

p.s. The B is AAA+!

13. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
  14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sweet bass, Rick. They usually shine in a group setting. Whenever I get the urge to sell mine, I take it on a gig.

I still have it:D