New Bass Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by LeonD, Mar 26, 2001.

1. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I recently purchased a new five string bass. When I tried it out, it was strung low B to high G. The bass sounded great and I bought it.

Before I took delivery, I had it restrung low E to high C. Now I notice that when I pluck upward (as in normal finger plucking, away from the floor), the open strings buzz. When I pluck downward, the buzz is almost non existent. When I tried the bass with the larger strings, I did not notice a buzz. It may have been there, but I didn't notice it. The higher strings buzz more than the lower; actually, I'm concerned mostly about the G and C.

The store set up the bass for the small gauge strings but they didn't do anything to the nut. All the strings sit substantially below the top of the nut. I asked them to set up the bass with low to mid action which they did. The bass plays very well!

Now, with all the above said, non of the buzzing comes through the amp. Actually, with it plugged in, you would never know there is a problem.

Does anyone know what the cause of the buzzing is? Or, should I not worry about it and just enjoy the bass seeing it's not noticeable through the amp?

2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I'll bet dollars to donuts that it's the nut. As you said, they didn't do any work on it, so that's probably what's wrong. (I haven't seen your bass so don't take my word for it.) Nuts are cut with certain string widths in mind, and when you changed the strings to the higher tuning, you have an E string in an oversized slot that was made for a B, and so forth. A new nut should only cost a couple of bucks and getting them to replace it shouldn't cost that much, either. If, however, like you said, you can't hear the buzz amplified, it doesn't really matter. You may find it annoying in the future, but it's really up to you.