Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

new bass cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassandlax, Feb 16, 2002.

1. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys
    i am currently playing through a peavey tnt115
    i really like it and dig its tone... but at the gigs we are playing, i feel that im having trouble cutting through the drums and guitars... so i was thinking about purchasing a bass cab to attach. I was thinking that ill get a cab.. power it through the peavey, then when i got some more $$ get a nice head and sell the peavey. Is this a good plan? Will the peavey run another cab?

also:

can anyone reccomend any cabs... not tooo expensive...
    i was looking at these:
    http://www.sunnamps.com/410.html
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...1107447785/search/g=home/detail/base_id/35890

are sunns any good?

thanks,
    joe

2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Take my advice, DO NOT ever get any thing musicians enemy(friend) they screwed me once. I also have a friend who has been screwed by them. Anyway i do not know if your peavey will power another cab I have never tried that with a combo. i have never even heard of sunn speakers, you might want to check out carvin http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=RL410T&P1=BA their stuff is fairly good and definitly worth the money plus you get a ten day trial period, so if you dont like it you can send it back no questions asked. Plus the carvins cheaper.

3. sevenbass

sevenbass Guest

Feb 16, 2002
    Barnsville G.A.
    I own the tnt 115 also and have the same problem.It sounds great but it starts clipping,and distorting at a fairly low volume. I've thought about getting a 2 x 10 to go with it but dont really know if the amp will have enough to drive it. As far as it being able to work with the extra cab it should, the manual ( I actually read it :eek: ) says that it can do 200w @ 2 ohms. Let me know how it works if you do it I might do the same. Good luck!!!

4. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    hey guys... can u suggest some other 410 cabs? preferably cheaper ones.. but still nice... im loking at some of the carvins.

also, i know smaller speakers are for higher end... but if i ran through just a 410 would it still get a bassy tone?

joe

5. Uh huh....just differs in the quality form 4x10 to 4x10....

6. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    can you reccomend some bassier 410s?
    or brands with good records when it comes to them?

7. No

As long as we are talking about the same TNT here (I have the older model), then the line outputs, are only a signal, they are not powered. The preamp out, and power amp in are part of an effects loop, that would do you no good. And if you wanted to use the High, and Low Outputs, those are unpowered signals, where you need a power amp to drive a cab. You could use either a power amp, or a combo, but as seeing how you want to add on, and not get something cheaper, I would buy the cab and a Power amp. Dont go out and buy a cheap 2x10 combo.

I did something like what you want with mine, because I noticed the TNT had <b>NO</b> bottom end. So what I did, was I plugged in my small 10 inch practice combo, through the high end output, and that seemed to push the sound right where I needed it.

Hope this was helpful.

8. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    thanks

im just kidna dissapointed. cause when i bought it brand new, i had the idea that you could power a cab with it... darn

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think all new peavey combos can do extension speakers.

jason

10. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    can anyone confirm that so i dont have to lug my amp down to guitar center to try it...
    (jeez i gotta get casters)

joe

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Dang, man, all you have to do is look at the back of the amp. What do the various jacks say back there? Either that and/or look in the manual. Then tell us what you see, and somebody should be able to explain it.

12. The jacks are in the front on mine;)

actually I am almost 100% positive that you cannot power a cab with the combo. Unless they changed something different from my model that is a few years old, to the one they just released, you cant do anything. sorry!

13. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    PLehmer is correct. I have a TNT115 that's about four years old. I emailed Peavey last year with a similar question (the manual confused me), and was told I'd need a separate power amp to drive another cab. If yours has only a remote switch jack on the back, and hi/lo outputs on the front, you're in the same boat. The hi/lo outs are pre-amp signals. FWIW on my model the output jacks and crossover control are just right of the master volume, between the chorus knobs and EQ sliders. Preamp in/out and power switch are on the far right, and hi/lo gain inputs, pregain, and shelving controls are on the left.

14. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    PLehmer is correct. I have a TNT115 that's about four years old. I emailed Peavey last year with a similar question (the manual confused me), and was told I'd need a separate power amp to drive another cab. If yours has only a remote switch jack on the back, and hi/lo outputs on the front, you're in the same boat. The hi/lo outs are pre-amp signals. FWIW on my model the output jacks and crossover control are just right of the master volume, between the chorus knobs and EQ sliders. Preamp in/out and power switch are on the far right, and hi/lo gain inputs, pregain, and shelving controls are on the left.

15. Richard, I know that may seem like the logical thing to do, but trust me, the manual for the TNT is not exactly a very good guide to its actual use. All it has are specs. The outputs we are refering to is in the front on a section that is comprised of exactly a 1. X-over frequency selection knob 2. a High output 3. Low Output. Nowhere in the manual does it actually say what high and low output mean. All those outputs are are just a basic preamp signal. They are not amplified sound.

16. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    back says:

external speaker minimum 4 ohms
    jack parralelled with 4 ohm internal speaker
    minimum amplifier load 2 ohms
    150 watt rms 4 ohms
    200 watt rms 2 ohms
    24.5V RMS

seems like it shold power a speaker

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sorry for the somewhat pissy response. My bad.

From what bassandlax says below, though, it seems pretty clear that it oughta be able to drive another speaker.

18. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    There's your answer then--you're in luck! You can hook up a 4 ohm speaker or anything higher. To get the most power out of your amp, use a 4 ohm speaker.

19. Well thats good, you have the newer version. Peavey must have realized that people want ext. cabs, so they put an extra out on the back. Thats great, everything should work fine. If you are looking for recommendations, I would go with Carvin, they are cheap, and they are very good. Good luck, and tell us how that turns out, I am interested to find out.

20. bassandlax

bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    thanks guys, im looking at the carvin 410, i hear its nice but has little low end, but im thinking with the 15 inch on the peavey it should cover it. im also looking at some sunns and ampegs, but the peavey is top on my list, then again i might just end up finding a deal locally and goin for it. but once again, thanks guys :-D

joe