1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

new bass, can you help me identiy pups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by nuga, Apr 20, 2010.

1. nuga

nuga

Nov 16, 2008
    Kansas City
    IMG00182-20100419-2359.

IMG00183-20100420-0000.

Hey guys,
    i got this bass on 'the list' last night. was curious what kind of pups these were. I am pretty sure they aren't stock... if someone knew that would be great. My thoughts were that they were delano.

2. tubby.twins

tubby.twins Amateur Pickup Reviewer Gold Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm pretty sure they're not Delano pickups. I've seen these before on eBay but can't remember the brand.

3. grifff

grifff

Jan 5, 2009
    Towson, Maryland
    Delano pickups have two pole pieces as far as I can tell.

EDIT: Nevermind the JMVC 4 FE/M2 Delano pickups do have the poles positioned directly under the string, but they clearly say Delano on them.

Attached Files:

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Probably Artec.

5. Could also be the Suhr designed Fender Jazz pickups of the early 90's

6. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Since you mentioned Artec, I've ordered these for a project I've been playing with:
    B104IV.

I'm not expecting much from them since they were only £24.00
    (less then $40) per set.

Did you have a chance to try Artec pickups? Are they any good?

Thanks

7. I´ve seen those type of pups on sandberg basses if I remember well

8. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I've installed them into basses for customers. They sound fine. There are actually some good cheap pickups coming out of Asia. Not outstanding, but they don't suck either.

The neck pickup on this bass is one of those large poled Artecs.

mm_jazz4.

9. nuga

nuga

Nov 16, 2008
    Kansas City
    ty for the info guys,
    its an older marcus miller bass that i got. As far as I know i'm the third owner. there looks like there is a small, 'o' (so faint is not photograph able) scratched out at the right corner of the bridge pickup, which makes me think they are delano, though i have no idea, how to tell. really. so i'm down to artec or delano. i have no idea why someone would replace the stock pups with a cheaper set of pups like artec.

is there any real way to know, once the logo is pulled of, etc.. i was told there are no markings underneath the pickup, haven't removed them yet.

10. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    Didn't Fender have some stock pickups that looked like those on Deluxe (MIM) jazz basses?

11. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    The polepieces are smaller than Delanos.
    Might be this one?

Certainly looks the part.

12. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Yeah, that's another possibility. They make the EMG Select pickups too.

13. artec gear is not that bad, budget but not overly usless.

i have an artec pre in one of my yamaha's and its a nice sounding unit, but i mis wired the battery knock off (jack side) so the pre is always on if the battery is in..... on a side note it makes some cool synth like noises when adjusted while the battery is going.... :) i love side effects like that :ninja:

14. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    they remind me of a bass pup i saw at one of my local shops. i dont think they knew what they were either.

15. nuga

nuga

Nov 16, 2008
    Kansas City
    btw, the owner before me says hey thinks they were the stock pups. could they be stock?