New Bass : Carvin Fretless 6string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Panda Licker, Apr 24, 2005.

1. I'm excited as hell, and have to tell the world. Since about 5 o'clock yesterday, I am the proud owner of a Carvin Fretless 6 string. Let me tell the tale:

A while back I was going to buy this exact bass. I had seen it in the same shop, and decided I should own it. I saved up all of the cash I needed for it over a month or so. The day I go to buy it, I find out that its been sold.

Not to be without a bass, I took that money and put it towards a Carvin B4Fretless instead. I've been playing this bass nonstop for about two months now, and I'm starting to truly believe that I was meant to be a fretless player.

So anywho, yesterday comes, and I'm going to see Ron White (Blue Collar comedy guy for those of you who dont know.) We get to the town very early before the show, and with a little bit of time to kill, we go to the music shop. And what do I see on the wall? My Carvin 6er!

Turns out that it hadn't been sold, but was put on layaway. Unfortunatly for the person who did this, they ran in to money troubles and had to have it put back on the wall. Well their troubles= my new bass.

I picked it up for $500 including a case. It looks a lot like the one in the link above, except mine is noticably older and with a darker finish. It's like brand new save for a small nick on the side of the fretboard, and the saddle screws are rusty. Other than that, its perfect. I've been playing it nonstop since I got home last night, and I love it. Only problem is that its strung with roundwounds, but I'll change that soon enough.

I'm sure nobody actually cares enough to read all of that, but I am really excited.

P.S. : Does anybody know a site where I can date my Carvin? I'm sort of curious to how old it is.
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Good for you!!!

Although I'm not personally familiar with that particular bass, I AM familiar with that "just gotta tell somebody" feeling! :hyper:
    Congratulations on your new axe -- I hope you enjoy it! :D
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
  4. $500? nice! i just bought the same model in blueburst last year for about $1k with case and my little customizations(tun oiled neck, strap locks, etc) its a very good bass, just make sure you get tempered strings. also I would get a setup done and deal with those rusted screws, if the sadles are worn anything like the screws ur strings are going to break real fast, I learned the hardway when i bought my Carvin LB75 used, :(
  5. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I always feel the need to chime in on the Carvin threads. I just love em'.

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    sweet looking bass! You'll love it.
  7. $500.00 for a Carvin 6 string fretless with case is a good deal; congrats
  8. WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I love my Carvin LB-70. I just ordered a new B5. Have fun with your new baby! :hyper:
  9. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I bought my LB75 used for an obscenley low price. Carvins are just incredible instruments for the money. I hope the Carvin bashers keep on doing their thing so the prices on the used market stay low..........I want another "steal" soon! :bassist:

Best of luck! You will not be dissapointed!
  10. Mike McGibney

Mike McGibney Not impossible ... Inevitable

Apr 13, 2005
    Essex, UK.
    Congrats Panda Licker!

(see you on mx)
  11. Thanks for all the well wishes

I found out my bass is somewhere around.. 7-10 years old, probably more on the 10 year side. The bridge is real weird. This is pre hipshot, and it has laterally adjusting saddles, which I had never seen before. As for the rust, its just a little bit of browning on the screws that make the saddles rise up, nothing on the actual strings.

All I need to do now is get a set of flatwounds, and a new control cover (the old one is slightly warped), and I'm good to go. It really is a fantastic bass.
  12. i bought my 5 year old used LB75 for $750 guitar center knows how to rip u off, good basss but overpriced, I was too much a n00b at teh time to realize it
  13. Just recently picked up an LB75A - anniversary model with all the bells & whistles - for $650. It is beauty to behold, and although I haven't played it a lot, I can't yet see what all the complaining about the electronics is about. Except I have to get used to the mid control.
  14. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    It's probably a Wilkinson bridge.