Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass causing changes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFunkVandal, Dec 22, 2001.

1. TheFunkVandal

TheFunkVandal

Dec 19, 2001
    hertford
    My next pay cheque promises to be £300+ so i was thinking of getting a peavey dynabass five-string for £230.

But the dilema is my current bass is a Squier jazz bass which I was thinking of getting defretted.

Any opinions or advice is appreciated.

TheFunkVandal

2. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I think you should go for it, a five string will allow you to diversify your musical styles and the four string will become kind of redundant so you may as well put it to good use, at least then you'll be able to sound like a trombone. Have fun with it.

Oh yeah, welcome to talkbass. :)

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    hmm.. i don't know if four string basses get redundant.. I am primarily a user of 5-string basses, but in now way do I think a 4 string bass is redundant.. I don't think anyone has ever mastered a four string.. but I would say go for the 5-string, it does allow for a bit more notes on the low side of the spectrum.. look out for that floppy low b though, if its floppy the notes are going to be muddy and basically you got a 4 string bass with a big metal thumb rest. As for defretting your Jazz bass, i did it to an old p-bass copy that I have, i mean it works, but you may want to look into doing it first, don't go tearing at the frets... and you may want to think about keeping that bass as a backup... just some suggestions..

peace,

4. Hey Vandal,

Go for the 5 string.I am going to have to get one sometime soon.Just finding a lot of the music I want to learn to play requires the B string.Anyways,if you do get her let us know how she plays!:D

Merry Christmas!