1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass choice <1k

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ben Berd, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Ben Berd

Ben Berd

Dec 8, 2011
    Nottingham Pa
    So, I finally saved up a grand to spend on a bass. Me being 15 thats a pretty big achievement :hyper:. I'd like to buy used just to get the most for my money. I've been looking at American Jazz basses and was just wondering if there is anything better but similar I could get for around a grand. Lakland? Suggestions. Thanks.

2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Sounds like its time to go play everything you can get your hands on. Just because you HAVE a grand doesn't mean you have to SPEND a grand. Keep an open mind and play a bunch of different basses.

3. Fender American Specials usually retail for under a grand & are top notch.
    As much as I'm a proponent for some of the cheaper basses, I'd love to have one in my lineup. You should be able to find one for a good price used.

4. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    If your after a Fender Jazz then I'd say you would get a fantastic deal by going with a Squier Jazz. Squiers take a lot of heat but a usually awesome.

5. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The play everything advice may sound like redundant sage wisdom, but there have been MANY basses that I spent ungodly amounts of money on that got outplayed by something half or less than half its price. I'd honestly say I'd look at some amps/cabs as well if you have $1k...You can put lower-price basses through a really good amp and sound like a totally different instrument.

6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

Looks like you are a JPJ inspired individual and a Fender'esk Jazz would be the way to go. You are right to try to find a used Jazz Bass. I am a used bass expert, so here are some spending guidelines: (assuming basses in good condition)

Squire Jazz $100
    Fender Jazz Mexican Made $300+
    Fender Jazz American Made $800+

Lakland Skyline 44-60 (but are not found as often) $600+
    G&L JB USA $700

Good luck in the hunt!

Also.....when I was 15, and had my first job, I worked all summer to get a Peavey 15" Combo ($175) and a new Rickenbacker 4001 ($475)

7. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Congratulations - that is a good chunk of money, and a great accomplishment for someone your age.

#1 piece of advice that I give (wish I always followed it myself) is:

Take. Your. Time!!!

There is so much good stuff out there now. You should be able to find a really great used bass for well under a grand. For example, I am awaiting arrival of a Carvin SB5000 5-string, beautiful bass shipped to me for just over $800. There are really nice Jazz-style basses (if that is for sure what you want) in the TB classifieds every day for great prices.

Not sure where you live, but get out to as many stores as possible and try all kinds of stuff. Never know what you might like.

Only risk with going and trying stuff - impulse purchases (don't ask me how I know)

Good luck, keep asking questions. Guys on this forum know alot and most love to help, especially when it comes to young bassists.

8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You should be able to get a good used fender American jazz for well under $1,000. The best thing about buying one is that if you don't like it you'll probably get most if not all your money back. I agree with the people who said try out as many basses as you can, but it's hard to go too far wrong with a fender.

9. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Don't overlook your amp. I've seen a lot of new players develop habits (myself included) because they had a nice bass and a crap amp. That ended up with playing with a very heavy touch to try to compensate for the lack of output of a tiny amp.

Just a bit of advice, but have fun with the purchase. Your first real bass is always exciting.

10. gr8bassplayer

gr8bassplayer

Feb 12, 2013
    Nebraska
    I highly recommend Schecter basses. I know the genre assassination, but they are very versatile.

11. Alex1984

Alex1984

Jan 16, 2010
    Vancouver
    Considering you're only 15, I'd save a chunk of that money for education and later use. Also, buy used whenever possible. You can get Skylines, but they're not necessarily "better", just different. American Vintage is about as good as it gets without going CS.

12. Finneus

Finneus Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2007
    Oswego, IL
    If you can find a quality used instrument, you can get more for your money. The beautiful part is if in a year you want to upgrade, you can usually get pretty close to what you paid, making it a "cheap rental". The reason some of the "old guard" on TB have experienced so many instruments is that they constantly cycle thru their backups, (perhaps keeping 1 favorite) until they figure out what they fall in love with.

Also, as a few have mentioned, you can probably find a pretty darn good instrument for much less than $1000, and definitely look at the rest of your gear. A $1000 bass will still sound like garbage thru a crappy amp.

At 15, it is unlikely you're going to keep this forever, so get something you're happy with for now, you can always upgrade later.

13. Ben Berd

Ben Berd

Dec 8, 2011
    Nottingham Pa
    Some of you seem to be concerned about my amp situation. I've never had any problem, tone or volume wise. I have been playing for about 6 years so I'm pretty comfortable with my gear set up by now. Iv just always wanted a nice jazz bass and its finally in reach with the sale of a few guitars. I would like to have a little money left over for a new head or cab. Thanks for all the suggestions. I do need to get out and try some but the guitar center near me is lacking in American jazz basses and local shops only have a few.

14. SRCRS

SRCRS

Apr 23, 2012
    I would listen this. There's a lot of quality basses out there. Start heading to music shops and play every bass they have, pick something you like to play.

15. Take a good, long gander at a used Carvin. You'll be getting a "pro-grade" instrument, with a decent chunk left over towards amplification. If you play your cards right, you could find the only bass you'll ever really need, not including playing it safe by having a spare bass for gigs.

16. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Second this - the sb4000 is an awesome bass!

17. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Guitar Center is not a good place to get a feel for quality instruments - anything else locally that you can visit?

Where do you live - maybe someone nearby can suggest somewhere to check out.

Glad that your rig is cool - that helps alot!

18. Ben Berd

Ben Berd

Dec 8, 2011
    Nottingham Pa
    I live in oxford which is just southeast of lancaster pa. West Chester music is the closest non-guitar center/ accent music. I've bought my only new bass and new amp from them and they're great. They have a couple of Americans and a cool roadworn. They don't have a very big used section though. I've been looking on craigslist but that's kinda limited in my area. I'm going to make a trip to Philly so if someone knows any good places in Philly that would be helpful.

19. bherman

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Have you been reading through the classifieds on this forum? Usually lots to look at there. I have bought and sold numerous basses, cabs, amps etc. Need to be sure what you are looking at, but good deals to be had from the great brotherhood of TB

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Sorry, a lot of times the "I've finally saved up $X" go hand in hand with "I have a crappy amp". My bad. Sounds like you know what you want, have the cash, just need to find the right one. I'd keep an eye out on the TB classifieds for an American Standard that you should be able to snag for under $1k. If you don't like it, you can probably sell it for the same or a little more later. Plus, new at Guitar Center really isn't new when people have been playing them for months.