Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrocker, Apr 8, 2005.

1. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Please help me come up with list of possible new basses.

After many years of inactivity I am out playing bass again, and enjoying it greatly. My main Bass in a G&L L1000 bought new in 1982.

The reasons I am looking for a new bass are:

1) I haven't bought a new bass in over 20 years, so I need to relieve my severe pent up GAS.

2) The neck on my L1000 is too wide for me, 1 3/4 inches. :crying: I would prefer a 1 1/2 inch nut width for my new bass.

My obvious choices are a Fender Jazz or a G&L L2000 with the 1 1/2 inch neck. (I don't know if the narrow neck option was available back in '82 :meh: )

What I like about my L1000 is :bassist: top notch construction, fit and finish, good low action, good tonal variety for a 1 PU bass.

My new bass does not have to be active, but if it is I need good quality electronics. It does not have to be MIA but needs to have attention payed to contruction, materials and quality control.

I mostly play hard rock, with some blues and electric jazz througn in.

Thanks for the input.

2. WarwickFan

WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    Florida
    How about this, since you like the Jazz and G&L construction, The G&L JB2 may be just what you are looking for. I use to have one and it was great. I had to sell it 2 years ago because we were moving and needed the $$$.

3. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the responses.

A little more info, while I like the tonal variety of L1000, for a 1 pickup system the choice of Humbucker, single coil and SC with bass boost, is pretty versitle, I don't want my new bass to limited to just that. I think the P-Bass or JB-2 would not even give me that flexibility.

As far as price goes I can go up to $1500, maybe more if I find the perfect bass. What the hey, my wife will not be happy no matter what new bass I bring home, so I may as well get a good one. :D But I'm thinking I may not have to go that high as I cab get an AM DLX Jazz or the G&L L2000 (with 1 1/12 width option) for around $1200.

Let me know if my assumptions about a P-Bass or the JB-2 are correct, and let me know if you guys can suggest anything else for me to consider?

Thanks Again

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I think Big String still has his Lakland USA Joe Osborne for sale. He originally was asking $1500 but I think he came down some. I have one and love it.