New Bass Choices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by oldrocker, Apr 8, 2005.

1. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Please help me come up with list of possible new basses.

After many years of inactivity I am out playing bass again, and enjoying it greatly. My main Bass in a G&L L1000 bought new in 1982.

The reasons I am looking for a new bass are:

1) I haven't bought a new bass in over 20 years, so I need to relieve my severe pent up GAS.

2) The neck on my L1000 is too wide for me, 1 3/4 inches. :crying: I would prefer a 1 1/2 inch nut width for my new bass.

My obvious choices are a Fender Jazz or a G&L L2000 with the 1 1/2 inch neck. (I don't know if the narrow neck option was available back in '82 :meh: )

What I like about my L1000 is :bassist: top notch construction, fit and finish, good low action, good tonal variety for a 1 PU bass.

My new bass does not have to be active, but if it is I need good quality electronics. It does not have to be MIA but needs to have attention payed to contruction, materials and quality control.

I mostly play hard rock, with some blues and electric jazz througn in.

Thanks for the input.
  2. WarwickFan

Feb 7, 2005
    How about this, since you like the Jazz and G&L construction, The G&L JB2 may be just what you are looking for. I use to have one and it was great. I had to sell it 2 years ago because we were moving and needed the $$$.
  3. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the responses.

A little more info, while I like the tonal variety of L1000, for a 1 pickup system the choice of Humbucker, single coil and SC with bass boost, is pretty versitle, I don't want my new bass to limited to just that. I think the P-Bass or JB-2 would not even give me that flexibility.

As far as price goes I can go up to $1500, maybe more if I find the perfect bass. What the hey, my wife will not be happy no matter what new bass I bring home, so I may as well get a good one. :D But I'm thinking I may not have to go that high as I cab get an AM DLX Jazz or the G&L L2000 (with 1 1/12 width option) for around $1200.

Let me know if my assumptions about a P-Bass or the JB-2 are correct, and let me know if you guys can suggest anything else for me to consider?

Thanks Again
  4. r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I think Big String still has his Lakland USA Joe Osborne for sale. He originally was asking $1500 but I think he came down some. I have one and love it.