1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEw Bass coming, I hate my current bass right now!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mrcbass, Dec 7, 2018.

1. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Anyone else experience this? The bass that's been your go to for some time, suddenly feels unplayable while you're waiting for the new bass you ordered to arrive?

Granted this I only the second bass I've bought online, but didn't have this feeling with the last one.

I'm dreading having to gig with my current bass tomorrow night...

2. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Nope. Love them all.:woot:

3. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    This is basic Psychology 101: You're experiencing "cognitive dissonance" because you bought a new bass despite being happy with the old one, so some part of your brain is trying to justify the purchase by denigrating your old one.

I just went through something like this recently myself. After being perfectly happy with my #1 for seven years, I suddenly and inexplicably fell prey to a bout of GAS and bought another bass from a fellow TBer. The new bass turned out to be every bit as great as I'd hoped it would be, and for the first couple of weeks I played it exclusively. Eventually I decided to pull out the old one at a rehearsal for comparison, but I brought the new bass along too with the expectation that I'd switch to it after the first set. To my (pleasant) surprise I found that I still loved the old one just as much as ever -- it really was as great as I'd always thought -- and I used it for the rest of the night. Since then I've been more or less alternating between the two, so now my "problem" is that I have two basses that I love equally. That's a problem I don't mind having.

Moral of the story: Just because you love one bass doesn't mean you can't also love the other too.

JLY likes this.
  4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I agree - but in this particular case, I realized later in the day that I posted that my EQ battery was waning and therefore my go to bass was actually not putting out properly. I gave it some fresh 9v candy and we made up. :thumbsup:

Turns out the bass I was lusting after got sent back anyway - we just didn't bond and it would not intonate so I couldn't give it any time to grow to love me. :crying:

Lobster11 likes this.
  5. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yea, it’s GAS. Unless you are having this epiffany that you were really a jazz neck player all along and just didn’t know it, I could see counting the minutes until you get your P bass moved.
    Its more likely that you are following the typical cycle. If so, you’ll feel different about a month after you sell your bass. Barring any technical issues, like something doesn’t work quite right. But if thats the issue, just get a better setup or repair right?