Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass connector problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by deddeh, Jan 25, 2006.

1. deddeh

deddeh

Nov 29, 2005
    Today I finally got my new bass, an LTD B-155, to replace my Squire P-Bass.

It worked perfectly when I got it, I plugged it into the amp and I played a few riffs here and a few riffs there and it worked flawlessly.

But then I ran down to borrow my mates tuner, and after I'd tuned it I pulled out the cable, except when I pulled it out, there was a bit more resistance than I was used to and it made a strange clicking sound when the cable got out.

When I then tried to plug it in the amp it made no sound except a slight buzz. Strange, since it had worked flawlessly just moments ago.

I then tried to find the problem, by changing the battery, trying different cables and opening the electronics panel to see if anything had broken.

There's no sound from the bass, except if I pull the cable about quarter way out of the jack, then the tones ring but it's very faint and it often craps out.
    The clicking sound is still there when I remove the cable.

I am wondering if maybe the cable I used when I tuned the bass had bent or broken something in the jack and if this is in anyway repairable without replacing the whole jack.
    Maybe other LTD B-155 owners have experienced similar problems.

This is very frustrating since this bass is brand new and I hadn't even gotten the chance to tune it properly before it craps out on me. :(

2. If its brand new and all you did was plug in a standard cable take it back to the store and see if they will repair it. They should repair it or replace it.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    When you opened up the electronics panel, did you look at where the input jack goes? If so, what did you see?

What it sounds like to me is that the cable you were using for the tuner got caught up on a notch that's on most input jacks that holds the cable in and transmits the signal. It's probably bent or now it's actually hitting that small ring of plastic that separates the polarity of the cable (hopefully I explained that right)..

But, that may not be your problem.