1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass + Darkstar Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RobertPaulson, Apr 3, 2009.

1. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    So I finally convinced my dad to trade me his bullet bass, it was the first bass I ever played and the bass I learned to play on. It's costing me my gibson les paul, but to me this bass is priceless... anyway...

Its a fender USA bullet, he's allready swapped the pickups with duncans, I'm going to mod it since it's a bass I'll never sell I'm not really worried about resale value or keeping it original. I'm planning on dropping a darkstar in, and my question is can I modify the existing pickguard (bullet pickguard with standard P cutout) to fit the darkstar, or am I going to need an entirely new pickguard? Also planning to throw a new bridge on, either a hipshot A or a badass II. I know it's not neccesary, but what the hell.

Regardless I'm pretty pumped, I've been trying to get my hands on this bass for a decade.

2. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    you can mod the pickguard if you have the right tools. there are a couple sites though that can make you a custom pickguard.

3. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    Yeah, I've seen Jeannie pickguards and was thinking of just having them make one. Then I have to decide on color though...

Any thoughts? It's a cream/aged white bass. It would be between: Black, Tort, or Gold.

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    definitely tort

5. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Shouldn't you be worrying about how to rout the body first?

6. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    nah, that's not much of an issue, i found the sizes, just have to cut a template.

7. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Understand.

I have a Darkstar that I haven't installed yet. It looks to me like the P-pickguards are routed a hair wider for P-pickups than what the Darkstar needs.

Jeannie's may be your best bet, especially once you get the Darkstar right where you want it.

8. Goodlawdy

Goodlawdy

Mar 27, 2008
    Saw somewhere else on here that the p bass pickup hole is a little bigger. That person made a very factory looking ring by tracing a credit card on a DVD cover with an exacto knife.

It looked great lol!