1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Day! ('78 Fenders)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coreyfyfe, Sep 7, 2008.

1. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Just picked up a 78 fretless P bass to complement my 78 jazz...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. neil933

neil933

Sep 4, 2008
    Very cool! I played a 1978 P Bass for most of the 1990's. A coffee brown color with a maple fretboard. I wish I still had it! Was heavy as hell but sounded great. I bought it with Bartolini pickups in it but played through Dimarzio model P's most of the time. The Bart's were cool but the Dimarzio's cut through better in a rock band setting. Nice bass!!!!
    Later, Neil

3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Those look sweet! I love that fretless. :cool:

4. w33nie

w33nie

Jan 27, 2008
    very nice basses

5. With these two basses, you're all set!

6. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    That Ashtray on the P looks awesome!

7. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    Awesome ! Congrats !

8. tat2jim

tat2jim

Sep 13, 2007
    ATL via NYC
    Beautiful, just beautiful. Enjoy.

9. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    Very nice!! I have the same fretless, I added a bart p/j to it.

10. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Thanks all, I'm really digging this fretless. Duck - how's it sound with the p/j? I got rid of my jazz special fretless (p/j) for this, but I never used the j on that bass because it was to noisy.

11. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    It sounds great!!
    Very warm, and I like having the J pup for a "tighter" sound.
    Part of me wishes I kept it original, but hey I love how it sounds now. :)

BTW...oddly enough, I also have the J. But I got that one back in the 80's and it's unrecognizable now. That one I totally regret modding. I don't even have that beautiful neck anymore. :crying:

12. Nice Corey....I have great love for the 78s.Great grab on that maple fretless...those things are going up in value fast,and there does not seem to be many out there.I looked forever for mine.If I may ask..what kind of ballpark figure did you snag it for?

Here's my 78 twins.

P6130080.

Cheers.

13. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I got the fretless for $1700 which was a little more than I wanted to pay, but it was worth it. I got the jazz two years ago for $1200.

14. JayAmel

JayAmel Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Carcassonne, France
    You guys drive me nuts with your '70's natural/fretless/maple P's. Absolutely gorgeous.

15. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Awesome fretless coreyfyfe!!!! (And the fretted isn't too shabby either):)

I'm still looking for a decent '78 Antigua Jazz to go with my '78 Fretless P:

107_0746.

I payed around $1400 for my fretless about two years ago. All original w/ original case & covers! I know I can easily recover my investment if necessary - so I think your Jazz for $1200 was a good deal!

The local GC had a matching '78 Jazz awhile back, but it played like a dog and they wanted about a grand too much for it! :spit:

16. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Nice... my personal philosophy, if you're going to go fretless, go all-in.

I.e., no dots or lines.

17. Hey Scotch(sorry Corey)temp.thread hijack.
    That is the rare bird!I've been looking forever for that combo.Everthing that I saw was so beat or discolored..as well as being way overpriced.So I found a 78 neck on Ebay and fit it to a Warmoth swamp ash body.They did all of the paint work.A fine Bass you have there.Long live the maple fretless P Bass...hey we should start a club:hyper:At least we have three of us!...Cheers.

P8080024.

P8080036.

18. coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    That antigua is beautiful. I've always loved antigua finishes, but they're so hard to find, and when you do find them people usually want top dollar (as can be expected). Horatio Sanz played one in the "more cowbell" sketch on SNL and I've always wondered where the hell he got it. If that's some prop in an NBC closet it would be a real shame.

19. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Very nice Instagator!!!