New Bass Day And Review: Musicians Friend Blow Out OLP MM3 Pearl Blue 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, May 18, 2007.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    Well this is from musicians friends little blow out on the OLP MM3 5 Stringers.

Out of the box fit and finish is good better than I expected. I took a chance on the pearl blue never seeing the color on any website. And I am glad I did is beautiful and VIBRANT.. And the white pearloid pickguard is a great compliment to the blue.

Hardware looks sturdy, electronics are clean and noise free no scratches when turning pots etc.

Neck is comfortable, not as wide of spacing as I would like, but its not bad im guessing 16mm or so. Neck also has a little bit of dive but its not enough to become a problem.

Action out of the box is a tad LOW for my tastes, usually its the other way around but not on this one. B string is a little loose but thats to be expected not bad, just a loose.

Fretwork is clean, no rough edges, no high frets, NO BUZZING which surprised the hell out of me.

As far as tone, I havent really played enough with it, but from what I can tell its extremely punchy and that low B is thunderous yet not boomy or sloppy sounding.

For $149 shipped its one hell of a bass, and a perfect companion to anyone looking to try out a 5 string.

Anyways more on tone later, heres some pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    no one wants to comment on how pretty that blue is :)

3. hey IBC-

It's a really pretty blue, it's more like sky blue than a true pearl blue, though. I always thought pearl blues had more gray in them..

I am looking at MM3's myself right now, so it's nice to see a new owner excited about one!

Have you replaced the stock strings yet? What strings are you planning on using?

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That's a nice looking bass, regardless of the price range.

If I could justify having another 5 string fretted bass around, I'd probably jump on one of these too.

5. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    That color is awesome! Blue being my fave color and all. I just ordered on from M.F. but it's the black one. :hyper:

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021