1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Day: back to basics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RCCollins, Mar 19, 2010.

1. So i pulled the trigger on a brand new Mexican P-bass last week. It was too good a deal to pass up ($360 shipped)

I've been jonesing for a P for a while and I'm happy to say that this one makes me very happy. As you can see, I still haven't pulled the plastic off the pickguard. It sounds great, the pickup is totally acceptable on its own, even if i already have big plans for this baby, some subtle custom mods that will put it over the top both in terms of tone and cosmetics. I bought it to have as a beater, but it looks like it's gonna get babied!

The neck is great, construction as good or better than the average USA Fender. I gotta say I am a big fan of the Mexican Fenders over the USA models. If you intend to swap out the pickup anyway, i see little reason to pay the considerable price difference. The basses from Ensenada are more than sweet enough to make your everyday P

[​IMG]

2. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    Yeah, I picked up a MIM P bass for about the same price new. I got it for a project bass. Sounded good as is. But I put a MIA jazz neck on it, SD pup, Gotoh bridge. The MIM neck was nice but still not as nice as a MIA neck. IMO, MIM Fender necks are nice but don't have the fit,finish and feel that a MIA neck has. This bass sounds outstanding

IMG_0355.jpg

3. Nice, can't beat the price!

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Nice!! coughtortguardcough.

5. See, my point is, I've played SO many fenders, and the necks on ANY model are really a crapshoot. I've played brand new MIAs that felt lousier than some squier affinity necks!

I honestly suspect that the biggest difference between MIA and MIM necks is cosmetic - and even that isn't really consistent. I've seen MIAs that had awful cuts of splotchy not-quirte-birdseye maple - but the headstocks were clean!

6. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    Yes... the MIMs can be very nice... I bought one off the bay half expecting it to be a dog, superb! Did a little light modding...

[​IMG]

Pretty much stock although I swapped out the machines.

7. particularly if you plan to mod, I see zero reason to invest in anything but the most amazing USA Fender at this point

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020