NEW BASS DAY!!! BIG AL 5 HAS ARRIVED!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svtscruggs, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    Agreed! The whole last few episodes have been simply delving into Cristian's psyche. We get it, he's got issues. Show some more hot chicks! lol

2. GAS!!!

3. Jaguar

Jaguar

Nov 19, 2006
    USA
    Just messin` with ya`!
    Love the bass.Enjoy that baby

4. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg Amps, Fender and Music Man basses
    ok...so i have used the Big Al 5 on a couple gigs now...and in short I LOVE IT! as far as tones go...it has a huge amount of options and variations...one of the things i like a lot is how good the bass sounds in passive mode! the bass can sound like a jazz bass when using the neck and bridge pickups, or it can do a p-bass sound when you solo the middle pickup...in active mode you can get some of the more traditional Music Man tones but you have to spend some time with the controls to find it...it really is hard to compare this bass to a stingray just because it is capable of doing so much! it can do the stingray tone, but with a good bit of tweeking of the knobs. it seems to me like the pre amps in the basses have pretty different ranges when it comes to the sweep of the eq. and on the big al the eq seems to change a bit with different pickup selections.

as far as build quality goes everything is top notch. the finish is flawless...( white pearl...which is kinda a white sparkle) the neck is straight with a matching headstock, the neck joint is tight and straight. we all know Music Man does a great job!

over all it is a killer bass with loads of options and tones. i would recommend that anyone looking for a new bass that can cover a lot of ground. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask, this is just a brief review!

5. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    So what are the Big Al 5's selling for now that they're out to retail stores?

I've been looking around but haven't seen any prices other than retail.

6. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    they arent in stores yet...and wont be for a few months...i got the only one rite now! :hyper:

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    That is really cool. Has a Jetsons vibe to it. :cool:

8. t0t0m

t0t0m

Dec 8, 2008
    I see...you are one of their endorsing artist..
    really would like to try the BIG AL..

9. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    when and who you playing with? would love to come check it out if you're playing locally anytime soon.

10. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    guitar center has the 4 string versions...;)

11. svtscruggs

svtscruggs

Mar 18, 2006
    nashville, tn
    i play pretty randomly around town now...but i can let ya know when im playing...been doing a lot of showcases and stuff lately...but i do also do random shows on broadway...lots of touring these days...

hit me up on facebook if you have it...i usually post where i am playing on there...

search my [email protected]

12. Donte

Donte

Feb 21, 2010
    San Diego

13. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    Knobs are volume, passive tone, stacked low mid/high mid, stacked treble/bass

Push buttons are neck, middle, bridge pickup, active/passive

Just got a Big Al 4 myself last week and gigged it on the weekend. These are great basses, not as aggressive as a Stingray or Bongo, but have a gazillion tonal options, and they hang beautifully on a strap - great balance and feel. I used mine for a covers gig on Saturday night playing mostly Motown/Stax and 70's/80s disco tunes, and with the neck and middle pups together and with TI Flats, it's a funk machine.

14. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Big AL is on top of my list right now, and I have a birthday coming up. So, what does she weigh?

15. niceeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

16. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Nice one! I think you probably were the first to get the fiver.

I'm right behind you, though. Mine ships today and should be in my hands before the weekend.

BigAl_SSS2.jpg

Looks just like this one except maybe a different pickguard.

More when I get it in my hot little hands.

Jack

17. I want a Big Al also...........damn, I need some more $$$$$$!

18. yeah? Well I have a bigger TV! (storms off in dejected anger)

I HATED those when I first saw one, and since then have not stopped thinking about how much I want one. It keeps me up nights thinking about the sound shaping possibilities in those electronics.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Way cool bass. Congrats!

I wish that EBMM would come out with a wide fiver, I just can't get comfy on narrow string spacing (bridge and nut). :( I know I know, their sales are just fine without me.

20. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    How big is this TV?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 28, 2021