NEW BASS DAY!!! BIG AL 5 HAS ARRIVED!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by svtscruggs, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Bigger than the ones behind the bass in the ops pics, so there :spit:

Although it is a modest 52" bravia.

2. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    That's what I wanted but it just wouldn't fit into the space I had for it, so I went down to a 47" Bravia.

3. Trying to avoid the hijack, but what a waste of money it was. I got it just over 18 months ago and couldn't get half of what I have in it if I sold it. So (ham handed segue) I obviously should have invested the 2 grand in a Big Al!

4. I played a Kubick when they first came out...they looked strange,.,,but what a great bass!
    I view the Big Al in the same regard. I would love to get one down the road.
    I think they sound incredible. Be interesting how they sell.

5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    I played it for a bit Friday night then was busy all day/night Saturday and Sunday but I have it here now.

Man, this sunburst on mahogany is DEEP. Rich. Bad-ass.

Favorite switch position so far is just the bridge (go figure) with a bit of bass added. Whoa. You know that snarly humbucker tone that all EBMMs have? Yeah, like that but overlay it with that angry, burpy (Jaco-ish) single coil bridge tone and you still don't have it, but it's close.

So you're rockin' along, all angry and snarly and then - boom. Engage the middle pickup. Dreamy fat wide and deep bass goodness.

I can't even explain what happen when you hit the neck pickup. The clouds open up. Women fall at your feet. Crap falls off your walls! (Okay, I didn't bring anything down, but I made some things rattle and it wasn't even that loud. I thought my cabinet was going!)

Haven't explored the passive option much, but from the few minutes I've had with it in passive.....yikes. The only way I can think to describe it as it stays fat and deep but gets REALLY round.

I'm in love.

Good bass. Very good bass.

6. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    And, if you have the onboard eqs set flat there is no appreciable jump in output when switching from passive to active.

I've been liking the bridge pup lately too but with quite a bit of low and high mids. I just add the neck pup if I need a deeper sound.

7. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    BA25th.jpg

The 25th is on loan from DuBaldo Music (it's used but in perfect shape and he says he'll deal) for a little BassFest
    on Saturday night. The Big Al - no deal! It's mine!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021