1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass Day F Bass BN5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hentor, Mar 8, 2013.

1. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Given that I live, literally, 5 minutes from F Bass' factory and showroom in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, I have been trying to avoid the wiles of Mr. Furlanetto's wares.

However last year, when I hosted Trip Wamsley for a house concert and visit to Toronto, a trip to the factory was in order.

While we were there, inviting George, Marcel and crew to the concert, I happened to spy a gorgeous instrument in progress. A transparent blue BN5 with a Heartwood Ebony fretboard.

8540938408_6c95e9f131.

At the same time, George tried out my instruments at home and offered to overhaul the action on some of them. His adjustments to my rather mundane collection of Precisions made okay instruments into instruments that practically played themselves.

Later that summer, I had decided enough was enough and began to discuss what I was looking for in an instrument with George. Namely a 5 string strung EADGC, and reversing how his preamp is wired - so you pulled the tone pot to engage the pre for a preset volume/tone boost for solos. He heard me play my main instrument (rosewood board Fender P - Highway One) through one of his reference amplifiers and immediately pulled a number of instruments from stock and the finishing room.

When he pulled this one from the finishing room, still missing its blackwood knobs and needing a setup, he plugged it in and it fit perfectly - played beautifully and felt "right".

I layed down a deposit on it to ensure that it was mine and confirmed how I wanted it strung/rewired. Life intervened (cancer in the family forcing a stop to most activities) and I finally picked it up today.

George signed and dated the headstock for me as well.

8540959892_2276f343f9.

This beauty plays like a dream, the neck is smooth and fast and just fits my hand. The bass balances well both on a strap and on the lap. The heartwood under the G and C strings soften their attack somewhat and make them less "clangy" and strident, which is nice for my playing technique...the reverse wiring of the preamp allows me to play passively like a j bass on steroids and then pop the preamp in to boost for solos or parts that need to stand out.

And yes, this is a bass that practically plays itself. I have it set up with George's own strings (all my basses have them installed) and the action is lower - in a good way - than one can possibly get with my precisions...

Expensive yes, but well worth the purchase and wait. I'm very lucky to be within walking distance of this fine craftsman!

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Very nice. I miss my F Bass.

3. redhed

redhed Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2009
    Holy crap! That's a beauty!

4. nurnay

nurnay

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    Gorgeous!

5. YCBass

YCBass

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    Congrats on that beauty!

Yes, George and crew are top notch people and so are their instruments... I love my BN6!

6. Wow! Seems a far cry from a P-Bass. Congrats on the lovely bass!

7. This is amazing. I wish I could be that close to George

My new Brownburst BN5 will be arriving on Tuesday. Enjoy it. Best basses on the market IMHO

8. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Enjoy the BN5s, both of yez!

9. sps500

sps500 In Memoriam

May 19, 2008
    Gorgeous!!!

10. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Jan 21, 2011
    YYZ
    Love that board!

Congrats!

11. edzaa

edzaa

Feb 20, 2012
    Central Texas
    Lucky! I think the luthier closest to me is pavel. I might have to pay him a visit some day.

12. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Very nice.

13. F Basses are works of art ... congrats man!

14. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Love the grain...she's a looker, nice catch.

15. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Congrats on owning one of the finest bass guitars on the planet. Now, move far, far away while you still have some $$ left!