New Bass Day - Fully Carved but Cracked

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Rebop, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Hello all,

Just got my first fully carved bass but there are some issues with it I'll need to address. A cracked rib on the lower bout that approaches the end block and a crack above and below the E-side f-hole. Luckily the crack in the top is a good inch or more away from the bass bar at its closest. There's also a chunk missing from a shoulder (looks like a gun shot) that'll be cake to repair compared to the other stuff.
    I'll likely be doing these repairs myself. I've only done a top-off repair once before and it was over 10 years ago so I'm a little leery to start cracking it open. I'll attempt to repair as much as possible with the top still on but I see a removal in my future either way.
    Still really excited. She's very pretty and sounds amazing despite the issues.

Photo gallery: http://imgur.com/a/PIwK4

ggg8cwd.jpg

2. eh_train

eh_train Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 12, 2004
    Toronto
    Owner, Stand Up Guy Basses (Repair/Sell/Buy upright basses)
    That looks great! Any ideas about how old? Also (not that it proves anything), is it labelled?

If you're not too reluctant, inquiring TBers would like to know how you came across it and whether you got a deal....

Cheers,

Paul

3. I was part of the backstory. The bass dates from 1931, bears the label of a respected maker and he got a deal. AND he's going to save it from neglect. Good show all around! Congrats!

4. Thanks. Yes it was a good deal but it has some serious issues.
    It's labeled and stamped "Herm. Stolzel".

As daunted as I am, I had to save it from the inevitable deterioration it was facing.

5. Also, this is gonna get my booty in gear to finish the Epi BV I got last year. I bought it as a rescue as well, but with the intention of flipping it; after disassembly it's been waiting to speak again. Working 60 hour Weeks will tend to force other things on to the back burner. I resigned from my position at work so I'll only have myself to blame soon. Venturing back into freelance- I gotta be nuts. Lol

Edit: just put it under the bow. All I can say is 'dang'. So responsive. I need to disassemble it before I start "playing in" the damage.

6. Now that's a mojo machine! Good find :)

7. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    no way - are you in Deerfield???

Let's get together - I can help

Geezer here with a Hermann Stolzel myself (as well as other DBs) I have full shop capabilities in my garage (at least for the next while) - mine is a little more refined but he's a quality maker from the era

seriously, get in touch - we'll get it stable and playable - no charge

send me a PM with contact info

paul

8. Yep, right off 10th. Couple blocks form Jaco's house.

Thanks for the offer. That would be great and I'll definitely be taking you up on it. PM Sent.

Thanks Paul!

-Noah

9. pnchad

pnchad

Nov 3, 2005
    Ill check my PMs shortly - I'm off Hillsboro near Powerline

I can't believe there are that many HS basses - I got mine 15 yrs ago from a jazz player in Miami

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021