New Bass Day - Jazz Bass Build Came Out Pretty Sweet!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by faulknersj, Apr 11, 2024.

1. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I've had a vision for a bass build for a while and started snatching up parts a few months ago to bring the vision to life. A little background.., the best sounding bass I ever owned was a 2008 MIM 70's Classic Series Jazz Bass (I know…kinda crazy), but the neck din't set up well and so I was given a replacement neck by Fender a couple years later. Long story short, It never sounded the same after that, but there was something about that first run of these Classic Series basses in 2008 and they all sounded amazing. I was able to get a neck from one of these basses with gorgeous dark rosewood blocked and bound, and with a bullet truss rod from TB’er @porterbass. I also found a relic'd Fender Flea Jazz bass body here in the classifieds from @oftenest and rounded her out with a pair of Lindy Fralin 5% overwind pickups I ordered going in to an Audere pre-amp I had laying around. I shielded all the cavities. The bridge is one I had laying around and I have no idea what it is! I must say I am pretty darn stoked with how she looks, sounds, and plays...might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's mine lol! Maybe this vid will inspire you to build something you've been jonesing for? Happy bass'ing ya'll!

*I threw a quick impromptu improv vid together over a generic Garage Band beat to share how she sounds (not trying to conjure any bass wizardry lol) and just came up with this off the top of my head real quick so give a brother some grace lol!

IMG_5660.jpeg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2024
  2. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Steve, I'm thrilled that you used that gorgeous 70's neck on this bass build! It looks fantastic with the blocks on that Flea body and guard! That dark rosewood is perfect with the shell pink.

Nice playing too and it sounds as great as it looks!

Bikeguy57, C Stone and faulknersj like this.
  3. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Yes sir…I am Very happy with the way this bad boy is sounding….

Good times and thanks again!

porterbass and Spidey2112 like this.
  4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Nice work creating that bass and your youtube demo is really nice too.

Best,
    Bones

covermego and faulknersj like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Nice!

6-3-2 and faulknersj like this.
  6. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Why thank you sir!! I am having a blast playing this thing…

BrentSimons and porterbass like this.
  7. Congrats on an absolutely perfect looking build! I love every single aspect to it! The white pickup covers are a really cool touch as well. Enjoy it!

faulknersj likes this.
  8. Sounds great + I like how you dressed a Flea Jazz bass body incognito by repurposing it uniquely.

faulknersj likes this.
  9. JIO

JIO Scott Lives Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    I dig it :thumbsup: I came close to buying a '77 J with a neck like that - it was nice. I recently did something similar. Parts-bass conceived around a nice no-name neck (with a very nice ebony slab fb!) that a friend gifted me. (coincidentally loaded with an Audere pre I had in a box for years!) I had no idea how it would turn out but all parts are top drawer and it ended up playing/sounding great! You never know until you plug it in when building a bass, but if you use good-stock and focused building... you have at least a good chance it'll be work the time & effort in looks, feel and sound. The okoume raw body was cheap but it's light and resonant - you cold hear it before plugging in. (a test I subject all my builds to!)

upload_2024-4-11_22-29-34.jpeg

10. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    I like, it looks killer! Congrats and enjoy!
    Good times…

11. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Sweet bass! I am a huge fan of the Audere pre’s. This is the 2nd one I have put in a build…

JIO likes this.
  12. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    I looks cool and sounds great, congrats!!!:thumbsup:

But are you absolutely sure the neck is from a Chinese CV? I can't remember ever seeing a Chinese CV with a bullet truss rod and rosewood w/white binding? If I saw that neck and had to make a guess I would probably say MIJ "reissue".

faulknersj likes this.
  13. faulknersj

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Ha ha! MIM stands for Made In Mexico.

it is a neck from a 2008 MIM 70’s Classic Series. These basses were amazing…at least the 3 2008’s I have interacted with were…

14. S.F.Sorrow

S.F.Sorrow

Dec 6, 2014
    Haha! Sorry, I think I need another cup of coffee... I somehow managed to misread your post COMPLETELY. I though you were referring to a Chinese Classic Vibe not a MIM Classic Series.:roflmao:

The MIM Classic Series were VERY good basses but some of them seemed to have an issue with the neck/truss rod. Basically that the truss rod was tightened all the way from the factory, with no further adjustment possible. I had this problem with my Classic Series 60s Jazz Bass (standard non-bullet truss rod). I could never get the neck straight enough, even with normal 45-105 roundwounds. When I googled it I found stories about others with the exact same issue. Sounds like you've found a good one this time!:thumbsup:

faulknersj likes this.
  15. Kubicki Fan

Kubicki Fan

Oct 3, 2014
    Canada GTA
    Clueless, sanctimonious old bastard
    The parts came together like they were meant for each other. Your bass looks and sounds perfect.

faulknersj and thunesBARROW like this.
  16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Looks killer :cool:

C Stone, faulknersj and thunesBARROW like this.
  17. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    looks great, and i agree it is "your cup of tea", thats what makes parts basses special...The bridge with brass saddles are a plus, that seems to be a thing these days, more sustain? i dunno....but looks good:thumbsup:

faulknersj and TonyP- like this.
  18. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2023
    Usually, I’m not a fan of those road worn types of things but you just changed my mind !
    This one really looks awesome with just enough wear, no exaggeration.
    On top of that, the mids on this bass are just sooooooooo sweet !
    Can I send you a deposit for you to build me an exact copy of it ?! :woot:

19. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    :thumbsup:

faulknersj likes this.
  20. @f

That's a terrific story and congrats on this new build. It inspires me to look harder for a neck for my P Bass.

Enjoyed the sound a lot as well...great playing on a great bass! If I may be so bold, what, if any, pedals did you use on that video? And settings on your pickups, tone, preamp? I really liked that sound. Thanks!

faulknersj likes this.