1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Day! [NBD - Ibanez SR650]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by comatosedragon, Feb 16, 2016.

1. 556565.
    s-l160450. s-l1600.
    Yay! New Bass Day! [Yes, I bought it used. ~$400 for those curious]

Thanks to everyone's help in this thread (and a few others) I decided on an Ibanez SR650, and it arrived today!

So far, I love it! This is the best neck I have ever played, the very definition of a 'fast neck'. Sturdy and well made too, the notes on the neck ring ring true, all up and down the neck, in each position. No dead frets here! The whole bass is lightweight and extremely comfortable to play (7lbs 7oz). There is even a cool little easy access truss rod cover that can be accessed without tools! The pickups and electronics sound great; although pre-amps are new to me, so I'm still playing with it to see what it can do. I may be wrong, but it seems that the 'EQ bypass' switch works opposite of intended. (Or maybe opposite of how I understand it?) By this I mean that according to the diagram, the EQ is bypassed (off) in the up (closest to me) position, and on in the down (closest to the floor) position. Seems to work opposite, that is, it gets louder 'UP' and quieter 'DOWN'. I am playing through a Peavey Max 115, which has separate inputs for active/passive (I am presently playing through active); so the confusion is most likely mine. As I said, this is my first pre-amp, so give me a day or two to figure it out!

No complaints (at all!), and I am even seriously considering picking up a second one in natural finish, so I can dye it purple.

(I have since cleaned the fretboard, buffed the frets and cleaned the whole bass. I changed strings to GHS flats).

Official Ibanez SR650 Page

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Congrats! I must admit that's one of the nicest burst headstocks I've ever seen.

comatosedragon likes this.
  3. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Stunning! What are the nordie pickups like?

4. Thanks!
    So far, they sound really nice to me (for what I am playing through). I am new to active basses, so I'm still feeling my way around. I am impressed so far, however.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. Aberdumbie

Aberdumbie

Jan 22, 2016
    South Carolina
    Those.... Are some gorgeous curves, man.... Bask in the glow of that beauty.

6. dbbltime

dbbltime

Oct 5, 2014
    NRH, Texas
    Congrats on your new Ibby SR650. Good to hear your happy with her. I have a natural finish SR650 on order, can't wait t to receive her. I hope she serves you well.