1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass day - Schecter US Custom Jazz (pics!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meowmeow, May 21, 2011.

1. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Picked up a new bass today! I don't know much about it other than that it is a '96 US Schecter. I assume it to be a custom made bass because it says "The Original California Custom". Haven't weighed her yet but she feels like she's under 10 lbs.

She's got Schaller tuners, a bone nut (I think), a 2Tek bridge (never heard of these on a Schecter before) and a birdseye maple neck. The stock pups seem to have been replaced by basslines. And she has push pull pots! The neck was also sanded to get the gloss off.

She plays wonderfully. Definitely the best bass I've ever played! About to put some new strings on it to replace the interesting combination of black beauties and nickle roundwounds that's on her now.

Paid $400 for her. I'm pretty sure that is a ridiculously good price but I'd like to see what you think she's worth. Not planning on selling her anytime soon but it'd be nice to know.

I've searched looking for similar basses and this was the closest I could find: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/schecter-original-california-custom-jazz-style-pj-475738/ None of the Schecters have 2teks in that thread which I find interesting.

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Alright I'll be the first to ask, what's up with the strings?

Cool bass, btw

3. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Previous owner had three black beauties and a normal string on it. Why? I have no idea.

4. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    looks like 3 black beauties and a regular E.

very nice bass.

5. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    Nice bass, very similar to the one I'm selling, same price, so I'd say you did OK.

6. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Mine was made in the US though :D

7. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    I like the Schecter Line , Nice looking bass.. good luck

8. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Thanks!

If anyone knows anything else about this particular bass I would like to hear it.

9. Doodaddy

Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    What a steal!

10. Ibanez Bassist

Ibanez Bassist

Jan 30, 2010
    US of A
    Yea, Its nice to get a break once and a while.. great price..

11. RickeyC

RickeyC

Jan 17, 2011
    Arkansas
    Nice grain on it! Congrats!

12. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Aah so I just tried the push pull pot (which I believe should be a coil tap) and it doesn't make sound when it's pulled out. It probably happened when they swapped the stock pups for the basslines. Is it worth trying to fix it? Is it a difficult fix or is it even possible to coil tap basslines?

13. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Beauty , Congrats ! I've never seen one with a 2-tek either but Schecter would have done what ever the customer asked , either that or it's a pro aftermarket install . I have a '96 "S" series , these were "standard" basses either P or J style , pickups varied though mostly their own design "monster tone" with series/parallel splitting pull pot . I just had mine redone by Pat Wilkins .

Schecter_GB.
    Before

CAcustomplate.

body3.

96SchecterSseriesLPB_5_20_11.

body2.

many basses have come and gone but this one is a keeper .

14. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Very nice! I have several USA Schecters as well as Hamer 2-teks so I would say that this is a killer bass. I'll buy it from you!

I was never a huge fan of the stock Monstertone pickups but that was just personal preference. With those woods and that bridge, your bass is screaming for SJB-2 pickups. They will balance the zing of the bridge and scoop of the ash. Quarter pounders on the other hand would be the worst I could think of.

15. Very nice instrument, I have a 2-TEK Hamer and I'm very fond of the bridge. I think you did very well...a USA bass in (apparently) great condition for $400 sounds a good deal to me.

16. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    These appear to be quarter pounders :meh:. What's so bad about them? They sound pretty good to me. Would it be worth swapping them out with SBJ-2s do you think? Or possibly even going for a different brand?

Nice bass!

17. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I pretty much hate quarter pounders in any bass because they are so scooped. All of my cruise 2-teks came with the stock SJB-1s which are nice, but left something to be desired with the 2-tek which adds a lot of zing and can be a bit cold. I found the SJB-2s to really balance everything out perfectly. Big, tight lows, grindy mids, and a smooth, clear top end. Those basses had alder bodies, and I think the ash body will scoop things a bit more. No doubt it sounds nice as it is a killer bass, but I would say absolutely try the SJB-2s - they will really balance out the tone. I guarantee it!

18. JGR

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    Meant to say, there are more exotic and expensive brands out there, but I don't think you will find a better match with that bridge.

19. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Alright, I definitely think I'm going to pick some up then!

Can you coil tap SBJ-2s? I don't know anything about coil tapping and whether or not that is a dumb question, but it does have a push pull pot and it would be cool to coil tap them if it's possible.

20. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    She's beautiful, Congrats!