1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW BASS DAY: The Best One Yet (w/ soundclips)!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kwesi, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Ok so this isn't actually a "new bass day" because I've had the bass for nearly a month now, lol. But I figured why not combine my NBD with a solid review? I wanted to really get to know this bass before I posted my thoughts and I think that I've gotten to that point now.

So without further ado, here's my new (to me) Sandberg Custom 5!

IMG_4711.

IMG_4712.

IMG_4735.

IMG_4739.

IMG_4741.

IMG_4748.

IMG_4750.

IMG_4754.

I had been watching another Sandberg Custom 5 on eBay and some last minute hesitation caused me to miss out so when I saw this go up I was absolutely determined to win it. And I did :bassist:.

Construction:

Firstly, this bass is dead sexy! The top, back, pickup covers and matching headstock are walnut, the body is mahogany and the neck is maple. The whole uniform color thing work really well with this bass. And they were put together in such a way that the bass is really light I'd say 8lbs., though I don't have a scale to say for sure.

This bass is proof that a 34" scale B string can sing and the zero-fret system really does bridge the tone gap between open and fingered notes. The neck is an interesting shape though. It's like a soft trapezoid shape that doesn't completely flatten at it's base. I've never felt anything like it but imagine the old (bulky) warwick neck shape combined with a jazz bass in both size and comfort. It feels great! Despite the bolt-on construction, the neck joint is done in such a way that it doesn't feel awkward going all the way to the 24th fret.

Electronics & Hardware:

The pickups are (i think) Sandberg MM-style humbuckers with single/parallel/series switch for each. I actually have no idea what preamp is in there but it's 3 bands of sheer awesome. The knobs and switches feel really sturdy and offer enough resistance to be comfortable without being rigid. The bridge is really cool but I haven't been able to identify that either. The only other bass I've seen with one like it was the Sandberg I missed out on before nabbing this one.

Comfort & Playability:

Not much to say here; the thing feels & plays great! It balances perfectly either sitting or strapped up and came straight from the dealer/owner with medium action and zero buzz, just how I like it :).

Tone:

Now on to the best part... :bassist:

This thing is a tone machine! I don't think I've ever been so happy with a basses tone so early on. It has powerful lows, growly mids, and clean highs and they all work in such a way that the tone has both awesome presence and warmth. I'd say Sandberg has accomplished what I think all active basses should aim for; improved clarity and volume over passive basses but with just as much organic tone.

I actually have very simple tonal preferences it's just tough to find them the way I'd like: I want the Jaco bridge tone and the Marcus Miller slap tone :D. Of course I won't sound like them because I'm not them but those two tones are what I'm after and this bass pretty much nails both. I will admit that my Spector does the Marcus better but that doesn't take much away from the Sandberg. This bass is really strong all around but if I had to point out one weakness it would be the high-end but that's only because I'm so used to Spectors and imo very few basses can compete with Spectors there.

Here's that awesome tone in action. You'll have to excuse the not-exactly-perfect playing though :smug:

1) http://www.vimeo.com/7050892

2)

I kinda wish I had picked some songs with a little more tonal variation (slap, upper neck playing, etc.) but I guess you'll just have to take my word on it's versatility until I make some more vids :)

I really haven't enjoyed a bass this much since I got my Spector Euro 4LX. I know the last time I gave a bass this much praise I sold it 2 weeks later but this time it's different, I promise. A little benchmark I use for how much I like stuff is that normally if I really like something I'll either immediately want a better version or a second one of whatever the item is in question and I would jump at the chance to grab another Sandberg! It's taken me a while to come to this conclusion but this bass actually ties my Spector Euro 4LX for the best bass I've ever owned and is easily in the top 5 that I've ever played.

Needless to say, I'm VERY happy with my Sandberg Custom 5 and if you're considering anything Sandberg I'd say go for it :bassist: :D

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    That thing is suhweet.

3. I like it a lot!

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice bass. Great review!

5. Grantrudd

Grantrudd

Jun 26, 2007
    Boston MA
    these sandberg customs are amazing! i just picked one up off the 'bay and it arrived last thursday. if anyone is on the fence about one of these, do it. i feel that mine just nailed the ken smith tone that i was after and could not be happier with it. nice purchase man!

just curious (i see you are running your sandberg into a markbass like me) what kind of eq are you using? i found everything flat with pickups balanced works really well for my sound. very even volume and tone from string to string.

p.s. pickups might be delanos. sandberg mainly uses delanos in their basses. not sure about preamps though. whatever they are, they are money!

6. so far I actually haven't been able to try it with my LMII yet because it's at home while I'm at college :(. I've been running it direct into my computer but my LMII always sounds better so I'm sure that when I do get the chance I'll be happy with my tone.

Yea, the pickups could be delanos too, I guess it depends on what the original owner requested :)

7. your idol

your idol

Oct 13, 2008
    Murfreesboro TN
    dope bass... that pb&j made me feel like i was on mushrooms though.
    i was checking this one out and was hoping a TBer would land it. nice score and great tone and its beautiful

8. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sweet!!!