1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Day- Warwick Rockbass Corvette $$ Oh Boy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Klaxxi, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    I know these have been sort of a touchy topic here recently, but here we go :rolleyes:

Well I was browsing Reverb and for whatever reason I couldn't pass this one up. I've never been all that interested in Warwicks, but something about it spoke to me, maybe it's just because it's pretty. This was a B stock bass so I got it at a very reasonable price, wasn't sure exactly what I was going to get but if I liked it enough I was willing to do some work to it anyway. The guy I dealt with at Nashville Guitar Works was very friendly and even complimented me on the grain of the body wood. It was shipped same day and arrived very quickly and well packaged.

Here were the pictures on the Reverb ad
    WW$$full. ww$$. ww$$back. WW$$long.

Here's when it arrived

20181203_110342.
    Peeking through 20181203_110543. Snapchat-1577795755. 20181203_110916. Snapchat-712920262.

I like it. It plays very well, there seems to be a buzz between the 8 and 10th frets on the bass side of the fretboard. Doesn't come through the amp but its noticeable unplugged especially. I'll probably get someone to look at it. It balances very well and weighs maybe 8.5 pounds? A big difference from my 10lb Ovation Magnum. I thought from the pictures the neck would be pretty wide but its definitely not. Quite skinny all the way down and especially at the nut. C shape neck in sort of a satin type finish. I'm more used to gloss finishes on the back of necks but I think I can learn to like it.

The pickups are very quiet as you'd expect. They sound good, pretty low output I find though. The Magnum is louder for sure, but maybe that's an unfair comparison considering how high output it is itself. I think a preamp would really bring this bass to life, so I'll be looking for one to drop in there. Warwick has a two band stacked nob pre on their website that just might be what I'm looking for. The whole bass feels very sturdy and high quality. The only thing I noticed at all were the nobs wobbling a little, but that is nothing really. These have the same hardware as the German ones so no issues there whatsoever.

I would say I'm very satisfied. A pretty, nice playing bass for less than 500 bucks and a smooth transaction. If you guys have any preamp recommendations feel free to leave them!

2. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Congrats!

3. Nice bass! (But I notice there is damage to the corners of the BOX!!! Send it Back!:rage:)
    Jk...Jk..

My German $$ was awesome. Warwick's body shape, the necks, the build- all superb.
    I even liked the MEC pups, and the switching gave me a lot of tone options.
    I didn't know the Rockbass models were passive, surprise, surprise!

Sounds like your issues will be an easy fix, and considering the prices of new German models, its a good deal for you.

Happy NBD.

4. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Nice bass! I’m something of a Corvette fan and that looks gorgeous.

Ps love the festive packaging :)

5. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    Yeah I got a pretty good laugh out of that. Now not only did I get a new bass, I can wrap all my Christmas presents too

Helix and JRA like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

well it is that alright! great looking bass --- and i'm glad it feels good to you. congratulations on your new instrument! :thumbsup:

7. Woofer

Woofer

Sep 24, 2008
    OBX
    I like that color combo, particularly with the maple neck. Pretty grain too. And they even gift wrapped it!

8. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    I do too. I never realized how nice a fretboard with no inlays could look. One of my favorite things about the bass I think. I do kinda wish it was wenge like the German ones but not worth the extra grand or more to me lol

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  9. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    Glad it worked out. I had a buzz on a used bass I bought not to long ago. In my case, the strings buzzed on the nut side of where I was fretting on certain frets. It was remedied by a good setup--flattening the neck some and lowering the nut.

Good luck!

10. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    I think that's whats going on here as well. Might have a tweak of the truss rod to do. If I have to mess with the nut this bass has the adjustable nut thing so at least no filing.

kodiakblair likes this.
  11. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    Augusta, GA
    I think you will get it solved! Everyone with their Rockbass has me weakly GASing for a Streamer NT.

12. Tigerclaw_x

Tigerclaw_x

Apr 25, 2016
    Congrats. Glad your experience was better than mine. Contact the seller let them know about bass. Now NGW is telling me that there actually IS a warranty. Call your seller, maybe that buz can be taken care of via warranty. Congrats and I am ENVIOUS...

13. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    That's good to know. I wish yours had ended up better than they were. I'm going to give it a bit for the bass to settle in and then mess with the setup a bit and if it's still doing it I'll look into calling around.

14. rodv66

rodv66

Jul 4, 2016
    NJ
    I love Warwicks and hated selling a German made one when I needed the call. I did get stickers for the frets. I can't stand having an unmarked board, just drives me crazy

15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    I guess you won't like these two then :)

IMG_1266.JPG

16. cmcbass

cmcbass

Jan 4, 2018
    Minneapolis
    The 2017 models and newer have Wenge fretboards. My rockbass $$ is a 2016 and has rosewood. I also have a 2017 Streamer standard, and that has a Wenge fretboard.

I have some 500k pots sitting around that I want to put into the $$. I put in a no-load tone pot, and that helped a bit. The 500k pots should open up the high end compared to the 250k pots that come in the bass. My only complaint about the bass is the electronics.

17. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    Ah how bout that. Just missed out on it I guess. Oh well, can't complain about rosewood anyway. I think it sounds quite good as is but yeah I think a preamp and new pots would do even better.

cmcbass likes this.
  18. Just picked up a GPS $$5 and got an OBP-3 for it. Looks like a lot of people on the Warwick forum use them.
    Wont have time to install it for a couple weeks but I'm excited to try it out.

19. Klaxxi

Klaxxi Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Beaumont, TX
    That's the Aguilar 3 band right? I only have 3 knobs to work with total or else I might head that direction as well. I also feel a two band is plenty for me. I like my mids and this bass produces a ton as is.

20. Yeah, $$ sounded good as is I just really missed a mid control. All my other basses are super mid forward.
    Rather have too much than not enough. Also wired it as 18V, im sure that's going to be overkill as well....