1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass Day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fghtffyrdmns, Dec 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    The day has finally come. I've been eyeing this one up for a while, and finally pulled the trigger.

I've wanted a Mustang forever, but I wasn't a huge fan of the necks on some of the new PJs I tried. So I found this Mikey Way signature at a local shop, and I totally fell in love.

At first, I wasn't a huge fan of the finish, but it's really growing on me. I may still eventually refinish it to a metallic white, but for now, the flake stays.

Attached Files:

2. OldFunBass

OldFunBass

Nov 5, 2016
    Florida
    Nice one! Congrats.

3. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    I posted this in the setup forum here too, but maybe someone here can help me out.

I lowered the saddles a bit, but anytime it get even close to the action I've currently got on my Jazz bass (still a bit high, tbh) I get buzz like mad from the 8th fret up.

Now, I'm assuming I need to make a truss rod adjustment here (I would think tightening it), but I want to double check before making any changes as I've always been a bit gun-shy with truss rod adjustments. Any help would be amazing.
    I should note, the buzz appears to stop around the 15th fret.

4. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Sounds like you need to add some relief by loosening the rod, anti-clockwise

5. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Great bass by the way I'd love to try one some time

6. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks! Before I lowered the saddles, it looked like there was already a decent amount of neck relief. If I capoed the first fret and held down the 14th (where the neck joins the body) I could still slide a .60mm pick between the 7th fret and the string without any contact. Hence my confusion on all of this!

7. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    Oh okay! From what you said it sounded like more relief required but yeah now you've said that it doesn't sound like it. Weird. I'd love to be able to take a look at it!

8. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    Im no expert and i wouldn't bet my last penny on this but if you can slide a .60mm pick then it sounds like the neck has too much relief, whatever adjustments you make to the neck make sure to make them in small increments that way you know exactly how much you have adjusted and you can easily adjust back if necessary

9. wow...very nice

fghtffyrdmns likes this.
  10. I hope that's not the Mustang I bought and returned, does it have holes drilled for a thumb rest near the pickup like this one? I think I see something that looks like a hole close to the pickup on yours, but only one...

[​IMG]

If so, check out the frets for file marks, the one I had was ruined by a previous owner, the frets were filed flat and it buzzed like mad.

[​IMG]

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    .6mm is about .024" (rounded off). Pretty sure Fender calls for about .012 to .014".

I like mine set flatter than that. Try loosening the strings and turning the rod about
    1/4 turn clockwise to flatten the board a bit. Re-tune and check again.

If you don't have them, try and pick up a set of feeler gauges. They come in handy.

mdalamond likes this.
  12. fghtffyrdmns

fghtffyrdmns

Oct 22, 2012
    Thanks all, I did pick up a set of feeler gauges, and set the relief to exactly what Fender recommends for this neck (.012"). It was still buzzing like mad, so I raised the action back up a bit, and I've found a bit of a compromise. Still nowhere near as low as I'd like, but more comfortable to play than it was previously.

13. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    Sometimes you have to compromise a bit if you're trying to avoid sticking a lot of money into it.

If you've done it a few times, the bass will tell you where it wants to be.
    Then play it for a while, and you'll almost certainly get used to it.

dabbler likes this.
  14. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    Nice bass! Although I noticed right away how flat and poorly filed the fret was. Almost flat and you can seethe scratches from the file. Nothing left to crown looks like.

15. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I'm curious how you would compare the neck to the PJs. I have this bass as well and really like it

16. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    I'm curious, too.

17. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

This is a bit of a longshot, but it's worth mentioning and would only take you a few minutes to try, so please bear with me.

I've been trying out a couple different necks on a particular body. The first one went on fine and without issue. The second wasn't as good a fit and didn't feel as comfortable to my fretting hand as the first, so I went back to the first.

When I put the first neck back on, I was encountering a lot a buzz…like, a whole lot up and down the neck…none of which was there before. After making a number of bridge and truss rod adjustments, I was still having buzz-issues, so I got to thinking…maybe I hadn't bolted the neck down to the body as tightly as I thought?

I loosened the bolts until the neck was free enough to wiggle a bit in the neck. Then I turned it face-down and while applying a great deal of downward force on the body on and around the neck plate, I re-bolted the screws again. It's worth noting that I…
    1. …put a folded-up polishing cloth between the heel of the neck and my work-table (I didn't want to mash the frets or damage the fretboard)
    2. …tightened each bolt a little bit at a time, as opposed to fully tightening one bolt, then the next, etc…
    After making damn sure each bolt was as tight as could be, I restrung it and violá…no more buzz! :woot: I was even able to add a little more tension to the truss rod and take some more relief out of the neck.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
    fghtffyrdmns likes this.