1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NEW BASS DAY!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gord_oh, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Gord_oh

Gord_oh Midtown Guitars Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    The thread that started it all: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585344&highlight=

So I got my first 5 string yesterday, unplanned. My dad and I went into guitar center to buy my brother a new drum throne, a roc'n'soc, if you know them they are sweet!! Anyway, I was in there earlier in the week testing out some 5ers, and I was set on getting an Ibanez 105ex. Like the feel, the sound was pretty good, and the price was perfect. I mentioned that I was planning on getting it to my dad after mom gave me some birthday money (not until November). After some jamming my dad reached in his pocket and said, "I have the money for it today if you want to get it. Then just pay me back with the money your mom gives you." After some debating I walked out of GC with a new bass.

This thing is perfect for me right now, I didnt want to go too big on my first 5er. Her name is Pearl.
    l_097288b6926b4e9a9fef99e035a599ae. l_ad4be5243e814ebe8c0c8054157fdc03.
    l_1715dc61c69d4c01909ad1cda3f96e91. l_1715dc61c69d4c01909ad1cda3f96e91. l_9905aa0c588d4be393e189d5fa5cc32d.
    MY LOVELY LADIES
    l_c6a15cd31e24484aa34c28722844ef75.

2. kingpin2512

kingpin2512

Aug 9, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Nice! I also really like your fender Jazz.

3. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    LEFT TO RIGHT:
    Lila, Pearl, Daphne

4. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    Nice Man,

I never got into five strings. The neck is so big!

Anyway, hope you enjoy it.

I call my fender jazz, reliable rebecca.

peece.

5. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Awesome colors on that Jazz....even if it's totally unrelated to the thread.

6. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    i hear you. i tried a squier 5 string and it was like a baseball bat.
    ibanez 5ers have really thin necks...if you considered getting a 5 string one day i would recommended looking into ibanez. its a comfortable transistion. i like thin jazz necks, but even for a 5 this feels kinda like a p neck to me.

thanks. yeah kinda unrelated.
    here is the related thread if interested:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=579630&highlight=

7. 5string5fingers

5string5fingers Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Man I love ibanez, but those knobs looks cheap. I'd be switchin those out pretty fast.

8. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    way ahead of you, i had some chrome metal knobs lying around and switched them off right after this pic was taken. the stock knobs felt and looked horrible, imo, plastic crap.

9. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Nice!

10. Gbassman815

Gbassman815

Feb 22, 2009
    :eyebrow: 5 strings have a big neck???????

Try this thing on For size
    GP3.

11. Awesome! I love it when parents are spontaneous. I got my Squier Affinity Jazz V as a birthday gift (in the form of a $150 GC gift card.) It's my first 5er, and I'm hooked on the low notes!

12. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    Very nice. Ibanez are good for those getting used to 5ers cos they have thinner necks. Much more comfortable to play IMO.

Also, like how you name your basses too :p everyone thinks I'm weird for it. I have an Ibanez SR705 called "Libby".

13. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    first mod! (second if you count changing the knobs)
    211qlut.

14. 5string5fingers

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Got any sound clips? I'm curious.

15. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    of the girl or the bass?
    i dont hve either...
    curious of what?

16. 5string5fingers

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Curious as to how it sounds. The pickup looks similar to the ones on my SRX but the position is farther from the bridge than the bridge pickup on my SRX. Any comments on the playablity,feel,balance,etc. I'm getting interested in the bass as I'm looking for a cheap 5 string to replace my old esp b-55. Something nice about the simplicity of the bass.

17. 5string5fingers

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Also what do you think of the B string?

18. Gord_oh

Oct 4, 2008
    Michigan
    sorry it took so long to respond

The B string isnt muddy like some of the other 5ers I have played. The pickup has a big and thick sound, especially for being passive, IMO. I wanted a passive 5 string, I like the smoother sound of them, and I actually didnt know that this was until I opened it up. But I was so impressed by the way it sounded...I mean its the exact sound I was looking for when I decided I wanted to go with a 5. It feels and plays great, the neck is small enough to fit my hands around, to me it reminds me of a precision neck. Balance is ok, the body is made of mahogany which I though would be able to balance out with the maple neck. (I have a mahogany jazz) With the slim cut ibanez body the neck feels heavy but I dont notice any major dive. Overall it is great for the price, I mean this is my first 5 but were what I was looking for in a bass this exceeded my expectations.

hope this helps.
    any more questions ill do what i can.
    i may end up doing some covers with this bass, ill post links.

-gordo

19. 5string5fingers

Mar 18, 2008
    Tifton,Georgia
    Some sound bites would be sweet.

20. OmegaZ27

OmegaZ27

Sep 18, 2005
    California
    Have you posted any sound clips yet? I'm really looking into buying this bass to start experimenting with a 5 string.