Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass Decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Platypus_Of_420, Dec 27, 2005.

1. I absolutely hate to post this as my first post on this site, but you guys seem to really know your **** here pretty well. i just got $450 for X-mas, so i have $600 for me to invest on new bass gear. i'm gonna get either an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, Epi t-bird IV, schecter diamond series custom california, or schecter model t. they're all in teh same mid-range price if you didn't already know this, and reading reviews from countless sites they all seem to extremely great basses, but i can't make up my mind still, i'm starting to think i'm gonna for the thunderbird or schecter custom california, but i'm still skeptical. suggestions and all that good stuff would be greatly appreciated.

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    First off, welcome to TB.

Second, what kind of stuff do you want to play? What do you want to sound like?

Without knowing what sort of style you're going for, I think that in the $600 range, its going to be tough to beat a Spector Legend bass. Every one I've played has been fantastic in both sound and playability.

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data4/Spector/Legend_4-1.html

3. rock and roll in every shape and form except thrash and heavy metal. some blues, etc. alot of classic (pink floyd, beatles, yes, etc), alot of new rock (incubus, foo fighters, etc), pretty much any kind you can think of. i've heard a T-bird fits blues and classic rock and just rock in general really well. spectors? i dont like their look, but i've never played one either (the closest guitar place here is GC) i'll see though. i couldnt really explain how i wanna sound in words, but something similar to a j-bass sound. mabye a bit different, but something that will atleast give me a sound similar to it if i want the j-bass snap anyway.

4. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Not that the basses you listed wouldn't be good choices. But if you want the Jazz bass sound, why not get a Jazz bass?

5. i also said i want the tone a bit different too, i was planning on getting a MIM standard at first, but looking around at epi's and schecters, theyre apparently higher quality, especially the schecter custom california, which IS a jazz bass pretty much. and the basses i listed are DIFFERENT too, i dont want a bass that looks exactly the same as every other one when it comes stock.

6. I'd get a nice used P-Bass for that price, preferable a nice bright one, with a maple neck...I think they sound less nasal than a Jazz Bass, and they can be very bright and versatile also...

7. Look at the G&L Tribute L-2000. $599.00 new on-line. Extremely verstile range of tones. And welcome to TB. Try using the Search feature and you can get a lot of good recommendations.

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I say go for a decent Ibanez. A lot of people are very happy with them. Like me. I mean, Im not a fan of the electronics, but I think the rest of the bass is worth it.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Have you actually played any of them? My experience with an Epi T-Bird was that it sucked, the electronics were poor, the quality control was lax and quite frankly it was no fun to play. I also tried a real Thunderbird back to back, far, far, far superior but also 3x the price. Damn. I'm not familiar with the other three, not stocked locally.

I would advise you to look around at other brands though too, Peavey make very under-appreciated quality gear, this means you can often get an absolute steal. Spector, Ibanez, Warwick Rock Bass, there are plenty for you to consider.

Also, don't place too much faith in review sites, the fact that people have paid for the instrument themselves usually means they will be overjoyed with it regardless of how it actually is in order to feel good about their purchase. Either that or it was so aweful they returned it.

10. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Why not save a little more and get a Fender Deluxe?

It has active electronics, so you can create "your" sound. Just a thought.