Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass design concepts, need input

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by j-raj, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Bass #1

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. Bass #2

25 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. Bass #3

3 vote(s)
    6.8%
  4. Bass #4

6 vote(s)
    13.6%
  1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Here are 4 design concepts, please vote and let me know which shape you like best and why.

Vote above....

Here is # 1

2. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Here is # 2

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Here is # 3

4. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Here is # 4

5. #1 for me.

More jazz like in the rear bout and the horns seem to flow from that form a little better than the others...

...not that there's anything wrong with that :D

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Oh, I almost forgot here are some of the details that I know so far:

34 inch scale 4 string Fretless Bass
    Fretless Cocobolo FB
    Wenge/Purple Heart/Wenge 3 piece Neck
    Gotoh Tuners (2+2)
    Schaller straplocks
    Gotoh bridge
    Side Dots and corner inlay lines
    Aguilar OBP-1, Vol/Blend/Treble/Bass
    Paduak/Wenge/Walnut/Wenge/Paduak Body
    Ebony Knobs (4)
    Bone or Tusq nut
    Pinwheel Truss Rod
    DiMarzio Ultra Jazz Pups

That is just to begin with, any input would be greatly appreciated!

7. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    # 2

8. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    1: not bad, upper horn could be bigger though. Bottom-heavy.
    2: nice. Good balance between upper and lower body, good flow.
    3: the pointy horns are not my taste
    4: looks bottom-heavy again. Could be adjusted to look nicer, would end up similar to a Benevente 219 body style.

Vote: 2

9. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Definitely #2. It has the most unified concept; the curves of the others seem more forced and arbitrary.

10. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002
    Looks to me like #2 has been done already, thank you very much......*cough, cough*:rolleyes:

11. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

What might we be insinuating? :D I guess it is my form of flattery...taking from shapes I like.

See, in each case I have either started with my Fender Jazz Bass or my Warrior 5, then took away what i didn't like/want, added some from other basses or combined what I like from both basses.

#1 is a perfect example of what I mean... The horns were orignally from my Warrior (but extended and thinned out a tad), made them a little more F Bass-like and then the tail of the body is from my Jazz bass (slightly altered to look like the guild pilot). Basically, a little recipe made from using a few 'Jazz-bass' inspired body designs, taking what I liked from each.

#2 (culprit in question), Started out from my Warrior bass as well, but then the horns both came from different places: bottom horn slighty from one of Les Claypool's basses & the top horn came from that Fender that Tye Zamora had made for him. I think that the Back was similar to a MBass that I saw in a recently post. I still think that the bottom horn is going to be shortened a little more.

#3 don't like it and not really going to waste time to develop it.

#4 pilotjones, you pretty much nailed it! (RE: '219')... except, I used my '94 Jazzbass Plus to start from and I wanted to incorporate the Guild Pilot bass angling with Chris' 219 shape.

**Basically #2 really didn't grow on me till I heard a couple responses and I thought about it for a little while. #1 & #4 need some fine tuning, but not too bad for body designs.

Thank you for your responses!!

I still would like to hear specifically about what shaping should be changed with those three (#1, #2 & #4). Are any of them too much like another bass being currently built, that I should ditch it completely? Another thing is that A friend of mine is going to be actually working with the wood, so I really want to do shapes that are practical, not 'off-the-wall'.

12. mikgag

mikgag Guest

Mar 25, 2002

I guess I'm flattered.....;)

....making it even closer!!!!!:spit: :D

13. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Man, I like them all, but if I were to choose, I'd go for #2 or #4..#2 has a nice rounded shape that looks very classic, yet custom all at the same time. Is that even possible??

#4 has a modern jazz look. I like the way the upper and lower horn are a little more exagerated.

Tough call, but all of them are nice!

Is the Wenge in the neck going to be the predominant wood or is the purpleheart? Just curious.

I can't wait to see the progress!

14. I say #1.. although #4 is cool, too. Sounds like it will be a great bass!

15. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    #2 gets my vote. It's very aesthetically pleasing and looks like a very balanced design. I'm not a huge fan of designs that look like the bass is 'leaning' forward (angled down at the rear) or sharp horns. #2 has a nice round pleasing shape, I think the end product will be unique without looking too exotic.

Just my 2c

16. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    It's a pity you can't have them all cut out of a piece of MDF so you can see how the real thing feels :)

The aesthetics of the body shape don't matter a great deal to me, but if you spend much time playing seated without a strap, consider the width of the lower body half and whether it raises the bass to a comfortable playing position.

The tough thing about going with your own body shape is that a lot of the engineering that has gone into balancing and kinesthetics is lost when you go it your own. So I would err on the side of caution and steal shamelessly. Particularly, if its not going to be your primary instrument, I'd aim for utility over style.

17. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Thanks guys!!

Great input!

Soy, to answer your question about the Neck Lams, The neck is mostly Wenge with a 1/2 inch strip of Purple Heart down the center.

Andy, thanks for the input of what to look for. What is MDF?

BW, It is definitely going to look unique... I hear ya on the 'leaning forward' thing, that is the idea behind the Guild pilot shape... We'll see.

Siff, Valued input... From a cat that has a great custom 4 string with a strong Jazz-Bass vibe in it.

Truthfully #1 & #4 are really growning on me... But I could give #2 a little more attention and could stand to revise it a bit... Gotta make it more original and unique.

Revisions, revisions, revisions.....

I'll post progress pix here, as we have them. Stay tuned!

18. Josh Curry

Josh Curry

May 29, 2003
    Frisco, TX
    mdf is particle board. it's the high end stuff. it's extremely cheap, yet very strong, sheet wood, it's what all of your non-solid wood furniture is made of.

19. GooseYArd

GooseYArd Guest

May 15, 2003
    good for making prototypes that can subsequently be destroyed in amusing ways. don't breath the fumes, though, they cure the particles with formaldehyde :)

20. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    To clarify-

MDF (medium density fiberboard) is not exactly the stuff that those easy-assembly entertainment centers and cabinets are made of. It is not made of any visible chips of wood. It is a smooth brown substance that shows no grain. It appears as though it must have been made from dust or fine individual fibers rather than from wood chips, and has no voids.