New bass design

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tim Barber, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    Well, for the last couple months I've been fiddling around with a new design, and I thought I would post it for comment. So...if anyone is interested, here is my new entry in the singlecut bass sweepstakes, the "Nocturne". But please, if all you have to say is "I hate singlecuts" don't bother. I'm interested in constructive comments, positive or negative.

The top is flamed claro walnut and the body is douglas fir, with a European sycamore accent between. I laid a 5-string FB on it for the pic but it's gonna be a fretted 6 with a maple/padauk neck and chechen fingerboard, active Seymour Duncan ASB soapbars, and gold hardware (sorry JP). :D
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like singlecuts but i like them to be a little unique. Most of them look pretty similair. I like the butt of yours, has a nice contour. Bottom horn is nice too. The top horn of course has limited oppirtunities for uniqueness, so i dont know what one would do there. Looks good though and i like the top.
  3. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE

lol Timmy.

the last portion of the attached "horn" looks weird to me. Its inwards curvature bothers me somehow...

I like the rest of the shape though! and nice woods!

4. I'd almost say extend the cutaway IN a wee bit, and make the fingerboard longer, like a Hyperbass. As it is, it's nice.

Are you doing a Carl-Thompson-esque strings pass-thru body thing (which is why the bottom end is square)???
  5. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Fig: it is hard to come up with something really unique. The top "horn" will look somewhat different when done, as there will be a fair amount of countouring/faceting that will pick up the accent line under the walnut.

JP: thanks man! Actually the front of the top horn will be faceted in an even more concave manner than the actual outline. Looks good on paper, but you never really know until the wood chips start flying. Unless you are fhodson.

Mon: good idea. The actual FB does extend further; I'll play around with deepening the cutaway a bit to meet it. No string-thru, just a design element to make it put-down-able with less risk of falling, and to visually complete the line of the neck as if it were exending through the body. I dunno, I added that part later and if I decide I don't like it, it may meet "Mr. Bandsaw". :)
  6. Cool & cool.

I just thank the maker no one has really resurrected the old secondary neck bar like on the old Roland Bass Synths...

well, except for Aeurswold. I'm sure I missplelled that one. :smug:

Edit: Hey! That's what that Wish bass in the other thread looks like... an Auerswald!

Look at "the Hammer"....sorry to go off topic there...
  7. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    you misspelled "misspelled" :D :bag:
  8. Holy crap I did!

misspelt. :smug:
  9. i like the squared out portion on the bottom, it goes a long way to make it look different from others (imo). i think your choice of top wood goes very well with the design.
    i'm interested to see the final contouring and how it ends up.
  10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the top horn could do with a little bit more of a concave curve like you mentioned it would have. I really dig that.

Also, I think the "waist" can be taken in a bit on the trebble side.

It looks a little too fat to me.
  11. Hey
    I like it, the only thing is the top horn - where it meets the body I don't like it when they run into the body. Thats just my opinion though! Trying to be constructive Nice work though!
  12. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Well I guess that's what makes it a singlecut, hmmm? ;)
  13. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Just for fun, here's the back. Which is made from...

...four lengths of a nice douglas fir 2x4. Which I have wanted to do ever since someone commented that they expected my "scrap wood bass" (old thread) to be made of 2x4s!
  14. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    IMHO it should be FULLY carved... Very *Curvacious*

That would add MUCH to its appeal *To me at least*
  15. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ohh, Another VERY important thing for me is HUGE cutaways! If I were to order one, I would request a Slightly Larger Cut-away, and it to be Carved for resting your hand easily, and Comfortably...
  16. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I like it! I'm curious though, what are the main advantages of a Singlecut? Anything sonar or tonal or is it purely cosmetic?

Nice Job

17. Tim Barber

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Well, for the builder the main advantage is that it gives you something to sell to people who like singlecuts. ;)

I have heard it said that it helps stabilize the neck, and I suppose that makes sense. But I've never actually played one (and this is the first one I have tried to build), so I guess I'll find out! Mostly I'm doing it because I wanted to try something different. Just like everybody else. :D
  18. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I'm genereally not too fond of singlecuts but that one looks very nice. The shape of it seems to flow very well with the body.
  19. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    - Nice design.
    - Man that's a nice piece of top wood.
    - I like the flat part at the bottom.
    - - Here's an idea: If that's meant to be a resting surface, you could use something down there to act as a bumper or scratch guard, right? Well, to keep it "organic," how about using two "frets" placed on the floor-facing surface, running side-to-side, one near the front of the guitar and one towards the back?
    - I disagree on taking in the waist on the treble side. It would make it too visually unbalanced.
    - If you do a deeper cutaway, be careful not to move the horn too far back, or it won't sit well on your lap. It looks like it's pretty far back already.
    - If you complete the design to look good with the flat bottom, you'll also have a design that looks good as a headless!
  20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    To expant on the floor rest idea how about a couple of pieces of a hard wood like ebony? Maybe just a couple of oiled or satin finished pieces that wouldnt show scratches so easily that were screwd in the bottom like stap button are and could be easily replaced if they wore down with time.

It would probably be a good idea to have that bottom part angled so that when its leaning back against something the entire bottom surface is touching.

I like the idea of making it a stand. Alembic purposely made their basses impossible to lean so that customers couldnt bring them in saying they broke when they fell over because they were being leaned.