New bass dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Mar 25, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey gang!

Well, I found a bass that I really like on a G&L L-2000 with a natural ash finish and rosewood fingerboard. It's in Seattle so shipping wouldn't be too bad here to Portland, or if I had some time I could just drive up and get it. Here's where the problem comes in... the bass has the optional #6 neck on it, which is 1.5" at the nut and has a 7.5" radius. The width isn't bad, but I'm not so sure about the radius. I've been playing on a stingray 5, and it seems like the only radius fingerboard I have played is 12". Would a 7.5" radius fingerboard be much more difficult to play? This seems like a really nice bass, but I don't want to get it and have it be really hard to play. Any opinions are welcome!

2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    12" you sure about the Ray having a neck with a 12" radius???......

The G&L L-2500 To my knowledge has a smaller neck than a ray.. I know my ray has a fat neck... I don't recall G&L necks to be that thick.. I could be wrong
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    There has GOT to be a music store in Portland with a 7-1/2" radius fingerboard bass hanging in it. Go find one and try it out. Or else, drive up to Seattle!

I've always found tighter-radius necks EASIER to play. But it's a matter of taste, so I suggest you try it!
  4. I'm a firm believer in try before you buy - if it feels right, sounds right and looks right - it's gotta be right :D
  5. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Keep in mind that we're compairing a 12" 5-string with a 7.5" 4-string. My Yamaha 5 has 23.6" radius (600 mm). So 12" sounds OK to me...?

BTW, I too find it easier to fret a board with a smaller radius.
  6. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Aha, I stand corrected. The Stingrays and Stingray 5's do not have 12" radius fingerboards. The actual radius according to is 11." Thank you all for your advice. I will try looking around portland for basses with a 7.5" radius neck or if nothing else I will make the 3 hour drive to Seattle. Thanks again!