Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass dilema

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StingrayKid21, Mar 25, 2002.

1. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Hey gang!

Well, I found a bass that I really like on BassNW.com: a G&L L-2000 with a natural ash finish and rosewood fingerboard. It's in Seattle so shipping wouldn't be too bad here to Portland, or if I had some time I could just drive up and get it. Here's where the problem comes in... the bass has the optional #6 neck on it, which is 1.5" at the nut and has a 7.5" radius. The width isn't bad, but I'm not so sure about the radius. I've been playing on a stingray 5, and it seems like the only radius fingerboard I have played is 12". Would a 7.5" radius fingerboard be much more difficult to play? This seems like a really nice bass, but I don't want to get it and have it be really hard to play. Any opinions are welcome!

THanks!
    --kid

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    12" you sure about the Ray having a neck with a 12" radius???......

The G&L L-2500 To my knowledge has a smaller neck than a ray.. I know my ray has a fat neck... I don't recall G&L necks to be that thick.. I could be wrong

3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    There has GOT to be a music store in Portland with a 7-1/2" radius fingerboard bass hanging in it. Go find one and try it out. Or else, drive up to Seattle!

I've always found tighter-radius necks EASIER to play. But it's a matter of taste, so I suggest you try it!

4. I'm a firm believer in try before you buy - if it feels right, sounds right and looks right - it's gotta be right :D

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Keep in mind that we're compairing a 12" 5-string with a 7.5" 4-string. My Yamaha 5 has 23.6" radius (600 mm). So 12" sounds OK to me...?

BTW, I too find it easier to fret a board with a smaller radius.

6. StingrayKid21

StingrayKid21 Holding down the low-end since 1996.

Oct 7, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Aha, I stand corrected. The Stingrays and Stingray 5's do not have 12" radius fingerboards. The actual radius according to ernieball.com is 11." Thank you all for your advice. I will try looking around portland for basses with a 7.5" radius neck or if nothing else I will make the 3 hour drive to Seattle. Thanks again!

--kid