New bass ... does it live up to the hype ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by George Looney, Jul 9, 2005.

1. You bet it does ... this thing kicks some serious booty ! :hyper:
    And no, it's not another Sadowsky thread, not even a Bongo one ...
    It's an Ibanez ATK 400 ... and it's official gentlemen, I'm in love. :smug:

So, here's the story :

Two days ago I went out to a nearby town, to buy clothes and shoes.
    Store, after store, after store, the same damn' thing : if I see anything I like, it's either too expensive or they don't have it in my size.
    Getting somewhat frustrated I desided to check out a music store in the neighbourhood that I hadn't been in before.
    I go in looking for the basses ... untill finally I see them.
    Where ? Well, waaaaaay in the back of the store of course ... just like the men's clothing in all off the shops that came before :scowl:
    Then I saw it, staring me in the face & looking sexy as hell. was itchin' to try it out despite the fact that the one I played before didn't convince me at all. (other shop, a few weeks ago)
    When I finally got to play it, I knew from the first note that this baby was nothing like the previous one.
    The salesperson quickly left me alone to play, wich was a good thing because, then he couldn't see how exited I was.
    When I stopped playing he returned, and I managed to look as if I was hesitant to buy it convincingly enough to haggle down the price. :D
    When I got home I played and played, I just couldn't put the damn thing down ! (all those new shiny nipp... euh, knobs to play with)
    Then I got soooo hungry I almost felt sick, looked at the clock ... 11.30 pm :eek: I hadn't eating anything since noon. Quickly, nuke some crap in the microwave and eat like a mofo !
    Still chewing on the last bit of nuked crap, I started to play again ...
    Untill I got reeeeaaally tired and looked at the clock again, :eek: :eek: :eek: 6.30 am :rollno:
    Then and there I decided to call it a day, smoked a fat one and went to bed.
    Day two : same thing, got up at 1.30 and ate breakfast around 3.30 pm. :rolleyes:
    But it's getting better now, but i have no choice really, all my fingers are stiff, they cramp up and my fingertips feel raw.

Did I tell you how much I really like this bass ? ;)
    Anyhoo, here she is :

Attached Files:

• ATK.jpg
      File size:
      40 KB
  2. Part two, the good stuff.

Ibanez ATK 400 specs :

Body : mahogany with ash top
    Neck : 3 piece maple, tilted headstock, 2+2 tuners
    Fretboard : maple, 24 frets
    Pickups : triple coil & J single coil PU (both passive)
    Electronics : active preamp with 3 band EQ (bass/mid/treble boost & cut)
    Controls : 1 volume, 3 tone buttons & a 5-way selector switch
    Bridge : massive ! string trough bridge or body

Review :

Fit & finish are very good exept for one thing : some of the fret ends are still a bit sharp.
    Everything else is fine.

Playability is excellent ! The neck feels very fast & comfortable to me, wich surprized me a bit cause I thought ATK's were supposed to have thick P like necks and I have small hands ...
    But when I measured it, I quickly realized that this was not the case.
    In fact it's very close to a J neck ... wich is probably why I like it so much.
    Action can be set pretty low.
    Either sitting down or playing with a strap, ballance is perfect.
    It is on the heavy side though

Tone ??? You bet your ************* *** ! :smug:
    This thing can punch, growl, bark, thump, bite, sing, ... and has very clear note defenition, and it also cuts through the mix very well. (with the right EQ)
    The 5-way selector switch is a extremely cool feature, it's like having five basses in one ! :hyper:
    Five different yummy flavors to choose from, and togheter with the three band EQ, wich is very responsive, the possibilities are almost infinite.
    The selector switch also doesn't click or make any noise whatsoever when you change settings, so you can do it during a song if you want to. :bassist:

Another cool feature is a little trimpot on the preamp for the gain, wich not only changes the volume but also the character; the more gain, the more balsier the tone gets.
    It seemed that pickup height is also a major factor in tone : closer to strings = more agressive & louder, and the EQ is also more responsive.
    All this got me thinking, maybe the dud ATK in the other shop was just badly setup ???
    Cause that one was even sexier, teal green looks soooo good with a maple fretboard ... :D

Should I buy the other one as well ? :bag:
  3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    That's the best looking ATK I've ever seen. I love the wood grain through the color.

Congrats, looks like you got a keeper! :bassist:
  4. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Congrats, I'm loving the color of it.
  5. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    What a wonderful find. Congratulations. I always thought the ATK was the best bass Ibanez put out and would definitely like to see it make a triumphant return.
  6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
  7. I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw the picture.
  8. Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Not only is that a nice bass, what a great story! Congrats! ;)
  9. Thanks for the kind words everyone.
    Here's another pic to make ya drool ... ;)

Attached Files:

• atk2.jpg
      File size:
      42.1 KB
  10. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    How much are these things?
  11. The price tag said 568 Euro's ...
    I told the salesman : "I'll take it for 500", he pauzed, thinked and got a calculator.
    He crunched some numbers and told me : "I can let it go for 520.".
    I pauzed, looked like I thought about it & said :"Mmmm ... okay." :D
  12. Hi, George Looney.
    I've got a ATK400 too but in sunburst ;)
    How about some soundsamples? and settings! :)
  13. Was the ATK cheaper then the clothes :D :smug:
  14. Ravens

Ravens Rivethead

Jan 12, 2007
    Malmö, Sweden
    Oh, one of them is hanging in a musicstore near me, and they are selling it for 380 euro.

think im gonna get it tomorrow
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Congrats on an extremely nice bass for a great price! Bring back the ATKs may be the best move Ibanez has made in the bass department since the introduction of the BTB series and the usage of Barts on higher-end models.
  16. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    Wow, that's pretty. That bridge is big. It looks like the grill on a Kenworth.
  17. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Love the color and the grain on the wood.
  18. crkempton

May 30, 2006
    man the way he keeps going on about it, you'd think he liked the dang thing....