1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

New Bass: Epi Jack Casady

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassjus, Aug 29, 2007.

1. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    The bass is certainly everything that everyone said it was. I bought this bass without ever playing it, and I have no regrets. I had some troubles with the shipping, but it was resolved, and since it was their fault, sweetwater overnighted it to me!

The setup out of the box was great. The intonation is perfect. The neck is a little bigger than I am used to, but I will get used to it. The bass is a little neck heavy, but when I let it go on the strap it doesn't go crashing to the floor.

The finish on the bass is phenominal. I've heard about a few people having some troubles with the area around the F-holes, and some paint chipping, but mine seems flawless. The color is really hard to capture with a camera. It is really a much deeper gold than I expected.

The tone of this is just awesome. I found with the vari-tone set at 50 it is a little weak, but at 250 it really shines. With it set at 500 you get a really slight amount of distortion, and a little less fo the woody sound that you get from the lower settings. It's got a nice bottom end, and a nice round top end that you hear on all of the videos(like the one on jacks opening webpage). It came with some rounds on it, and if you dial it in right there are some great slap tones. With the tone knob on 10 it can be a little bright, but turning it down I can really get some nice warmth fingerstyle tones(what I was really going for).

When I ordered it, from what I've read I was really expecting a "WOW" when I plaugged it in, and I got that and more. If you are looking to go the hollowbody route, this is everything they say it is. The only thing I plan on changing is possibly throwing on some flats, and some strap locks.

I will be able to get some sound clips up later.

It was really tough to get some good pictures inside, but my camera was out of batteries, so I was tethered to the wall by the power cable, and going outside wasn't going to work. None of the pictures really show the color of the bass that well, but I know youa ll wanted pictures to I took them anyway.

DSC02370.
    DSC02366.
    DSC02369.

2. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    I did a series of gigs with a singer songwriter who self-recorded all his songs at his home studio. Since he used his Epi Jack Casady on the tracks, he wanted me to use it on our gigs, so we'd match the recorded sound. So I've never owned a Jack, but I did have one in my possession for a number of months.

Really a great instrument, truly a pleasure to play. And beautiful to boot!

Congratulations bassjus, I know you're gonna love it!

:hyper:

3. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Make sure you adjust the bridge correctly, they are notorious for pulling out of the body if not set up right.

4. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Thanks for the headsup man, I'll keep that in mind.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Very nice looking bass, enjoy it.

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    I always wanted a Les Paul Signature Bass, so I'm looking forward to trying on of these Epis.

I've heard the low impedance pickups are a little different than on the LP, but real close.

7. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    I'm playing mine right now and I love it.

I think some new strings are in order to bring out something, these d'addario nickel rounds are getting dull -- and not in a good way. Jack uses the SS strings, but I can't bring myself to play those things. they just feel bad, imo.

8. :cool:

Congrats!
    It's a great bass, enjoy it!

9. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Jack specifically uses Dean Markley Blue Steels, which seem to me very different from other SS strings I've used. I thought they seemed like an odd choice for a hollow/semi-hollowbody, but tried them on his recommendation and found them to be great on my JC signature bass. Recently I decided to try a set of the Dean Markley NICKEL blue-steels (huh?), and like them even better. You might want to give them a try on your JC.

10. Whaaaapsh

Whaaaapsh

Apr 23, 2006
    Portland, OR
    nice! I'll give em a shot. Thanks.

11. Hey, congrats on your new Jackbass, bassjus. :cool:

I've had mine over 6 years now; mine has the sunburst finish.

The 250 setting is my favorite, but when you set it at 50, and turn down the mids on your amp, this bass will sound almost like an upright with frets.

I've used a few different sets of strings on mine:

1.) Rotosound 77 flats - They compliment this bass' acoustic-like character. They're bright and not thuddy for a flat string. Nice high end.
    2.) Dean Markley Blue Steel - Very nice, balanced roundwound. Not too bright.
    3.) LaBella 1954 Jamerson Set - DON'T !!! I thought they were going to pull the bridge right off the bass. Tension much too high for my liking.

Right now, I have a set of Fender stainless steel roundwounds on mine. (7350M) These have the deepest bass of the ones I've tried so far. I usually favor nickle strings, but I like these. Nice tone.

Although I haven't tried them yet, I would imagine that Elixirs would also compliment this bass' tone. Nice & woody.

Much good luck with yours. ;)

Mike

12. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    Thanks for all the compliments and suggestions. I picked up some d'addario chromes and they sound awesome. It's really a nice change for my modulus that I've been palying so much lately. Like you said, if I take out a lot of the mids I can get it to sound somewhat upright-ish. I'm definitely digging the bass. Now only if the case would come in.

13. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Get those straplocks on there asap too. I've never dropped mine, I have a feeling that it wouldn't take too well to that.

If the neck-heaviness begins bother you, swap out the tuners for a set of Hipshot Ultralites. I just did this myself -- easy job -- and it helped a lot.

14. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    None of the stores around me sell schallers(what I use on my other basses/strap) so I'm going to order them. What I'm debating right now is getting the silver or the gold. I don't know if the finish on the gold would ever wear off and look crappy. Any ideas?

Also, the neck heaviness doesn't really bother me. It still balanced pretty well for me.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Staff Member Supporting Member

One of my all time favorite hollowbody basses , this was the push I needed to get it back into playing shape and take it back out live again ! :bassist:

16. Lobster11

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    That's great! Glad we could :help:.