Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass(es) Day!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dukeorock, Dec 10, 2013.

1. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    Got a 35" scale Drake Custom 4 string...love this bass! ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386669029.015869.jpg
    I can't recommend Andrew Drake highly enough. Great craftsman and a great guy. I bought this bass to be tuned BEAD and it sounds very solid on the B string, but just for grins, I put a set of heavy gauge flats on in standard tuning as well. Digging that too, but have a feeling this'll be a round wound kinda bass for me. The pickups are TV Jones Blades. Very warm and punchy.

Packed up a few amps to take to my shop, so I could goof around on breaks. On my way, a buddy called and said there was a white '79 Peavey T-45 on CL for cheap...wound up grabbing that too :) ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386669497.803198.jpg

I set up 3 different amps. A Michael Pope MPP2 (used mostly for upright), a Reiner 6SL7 pre amp with a Peavey power amp and a Mesa M9. The Reiner (JGR) is also new and man, there may be a better clean tube pre out there, but I sure haven't heard it! The Drake sounded fantastic through all three amps. Big chunky lows and and good detail.

I was really shocked at how great the T-45 sounded. I have (and love) a T-40, but this bass sounds very different to me. Has an early Stingray kinda sound, to my ears at least. Great attack and growl.

Just wanted to share. That was a fun day :)

Attached Files:

2. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Here's the amps ImageUploadedByTalkBass1386670319.353590.jpg
    The 31 band graphic is just for loud upright gigs. Very problematic venue last weekend as the graph can attest to :)

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Beautiful basses I have a T-45 and love the sound of them.

4. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN

I'm really happy with it. It's also quite a bit lighter than the T-40, thank goodness!

5. roninrindra

roninrindra

Nov 26, 2013
    Beautiful and rare basses

6. dukeorock

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN

I think Drake has made less than 100 basses and no two are exactly alike. Mine was a collaboration, design-wise and for better or worse, is the only one of its kind :)