New bass ESP Custom J-five

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by guybassman, Jun 1, 2003.

1. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Hello guys , just bought myself an ESP customshop J-five.Awesome sound , build quality and playability.Isn't the bassplayer of Steeley Dan , Tom Barney playing this kind of instrument?
    I'll attach a picture.
  2. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Soory , unable to attach a picture.I point the attachment to the file on my local harddrive , and then do a preview , there's no attachment icon visible.
  3. hey! you can attach a pic with your post !

Click on edit (or new post) then hit 'browse' at the bottom of the page, a new dialog box with folders + files on your HD will appear. Find the folder of wich the pic is in, then double click on the pic. Post away! :)
    The pic will be linked at the bottom of your post. To make it visible in your post, edit again, and paste the attachment's url into your post, and put 'img' tags around it, e.g.:

[ img ] w w w.YOUR PIC HERE.c o m [ /img ]

(take away the spaces inbetween 'img')
    now... LETS SEE THE PIX!!!:D :D
  4. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Second time to attach picture.
  5. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    nice catch, i've been diggin' those for a while now, ever since this one got away from me on evilbay.
  6. You must have bought that from Ted in Los Angeles, right? I almost did, but just didn't have the guts to buy something that was an unknown quantity . . .

PLEASE let us know how it sounds!
  7. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Another picture of the back of the headstock.I'll post how it sounds a little bit later.
  8. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Sorry , this was a tiny version.:)
  9. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    very cool bass! I have always been a fan of the guitars, I am sure the basses hold up just as well!

10. I had an ESP USA Custom Shop Telecaster that RULED! I wasn't sure about ESP Custom Shop basses, but I guess maybe they RULE too . . .
  11. jon from bunnybass takes the best pictures of basses!

nice esp... congrats. :)

12. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    You know , this bass was for sale on the Bunnybass.I wasn't sure about ESP either , but the people at the Bunnybass who are really honest and fantastic to deal with , said this ESP could EASELY go on par with a Sadowsky and this secondhand for a less lot of money.I actually paid only 860 $ for it.(That's inclusive a brandnew ReunionBlues gigbag and a set of Dr Fatbeams)I received the bass only 2 days ago and my expectations came true.Lots of warmth and VERYMUCH percussive attack.The bass features also a very extended preamp: tone , pan ,bass ,treble , mid cut/boost , mid freq select.I play 25 years bass(Alembic , Fender JB MIA , Fender Precision MIA , Jaydee Mk, Ken Lawrence Custom , Yamaha)and must agree that ESP Customshop RULES. Awesome bass !!!!
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the EPS custom Js were supposed to be on par with anything on the market. Unfortunately, they get associated with their budget lines and less than spectacular image (nu-metal, anyone?).

Shame, because it even looks nice...
  14. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    Yes Brendan , the reason this bass was so cheap is because of image considiration.ESP sounded also cheap to my ears.However when i saw Steeley Dan on the "Two against nature" DVD , i noticed Tom Barney played one of these customshops J-five basses. And it sounded really cool. I also read that Lincoln Goines played these basses before he switched to Fodera.
  15. JayJay

May 13, 2002
    Me too was really impressed with Tom Barney's custom ESP 5 and the tight growly bottom from his bass. Of course, the touch of the player makes the difference.

Tried to search for more info on his custom signature bass but to no avail. Was seriously wondering what pickups and preamp electronics combination was he using on his bass.

Guybass, you got any idea what is the make of your pickups and electronics?
  16. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes Tom Barnney(who is actually a friend of mine) does play a esp five. He is also endorsed by esp and Hands out basses to under privelegded kids. I told him to give me one and he laughed! Here is a pick of him at old timers day where we come from.
  17. guybassman

Feb 8, 2003
    JayJay , i opened the bass and there was no brandname on the preamp.The picukps might be the "Schecter Vintage Singlecoils" but i'm not sure of that.Sorry i can't help you.