1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New Bass...Fender Classic 50's P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lonote, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Unfortunately, I have no pix. I'm probably the only guy left in the USA (or possibly the entire world) without a cell phone and a digital camera. Anyway, the bass is a beauty: black P-Bass (alder) body, gold anodized aluminum pickguard, a stout (1.75" width at the nut) 1 piece maple neck/fretboard with black dot inlays and "vintage tint", and vintage style hardware (reverse tuners and a bridge like the Hwy 1). I ordered the bass sight-unseen and I couldn't be happier. The fit and finish are immaculate...the neck pocket is tight; you couldn't come close to inserting a business card in it and the finish is perfect. The frets are nicely crowned and polished; no signs of any "sprout." The bass is lighter than my Hamer, my P-clone and my MIJ fretless Jazz and it balances well (although not as well as the heavier, 2-Tek equipped Hamer). I brought it home, installed Schaller strap locks and a set of Fender 9050 ML flats (.050 - .100) and went to my gig. The gig was in a club with a good house bass rig (Eden WT-800 head and an Eden 4 X 10") so I was able to hear the bass well. I was happy to see that I won't be needing an aftermarket pickup. The sound was classic P-Bass: fat, rich and perfect in the mix. I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by the quality of the bass. I expected to see a few prickly fret ends and a (minor) finish flaw or two and possibly a sloppy neck pocket joint. None of these conditions were present and the stock pickup sounds good 'n' thumpy. We'll see what I think after the honeymoon's over but, for now at least, she looks like a keeper.

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Here's a pic of the Classic '50s I used to have. I really liked it, and only sold it to finance a Lakland that I have coming to me soon.

Sometime down the road, I may buy another one in Fiesta Red and put a Mint or Tort Pickguard on it. (And maybe put a Fralin pickup in it. The stock pup is fine, but the Fralin is great.)

3. That's exactly what mine looks like. I was all set to spring for a Fralin or a Fender "Original '62" but I'm going to stand pat for a while. I may have gotten lucky and found a "magical" instrument.

4. Beautiful bass that I've been dying to get. Of course I don't need another Fender. I just really want one!

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    AWESOME!