New bass fixup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sams, May 9, 2001.

1. sams

Mar 20, 2001
    East Orange, NJ
    I just bought a cheap Lark bass for about $200 and I know I cant change it into a dynamic bass but I want to try. It gives me a ringing when I play; sounds like the strings are too close to the fret or something like that. I think it is a passive bass cause it does not have a battery. Any suggestions on how to go about this transformation?
  2. Hello Sams.

Don't know the Lark.

Not altogether sure what you're trying to do: perhaps I'm thick or something.

There seem to be two points here.

The ringing could be a number of things. If you think it's a string height problem then you could just adjust the bridge saddles to raise the strings. Perhaps the truss rod needs a tweak: LEAVE THAT TO AN EXPERT though.

You say a "dynamic bass". Do you mean you want to convert it from passive to active: keep the passive pup but add a preamp / tone board?

It certainly can be done, but is it wise? I've been down that road and I wouldn't go there again. I really do prefer the sound and punch from a passive bass. And then there's all the cutting holes in the body, scratch plate, etc.....

Oooooh. Tricky stuff.

Think VERY CAREFULLY before you hack you bass to pieces.

Best wishes.

Rockin John
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think your best bet is to get it set up correctly by a tech and then consider getting a pre-amp. Something like the tech21 sans amp bass driver DI or even their basscompactor would help.
  4. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Get to know a good tech. Let him/her look at it and make recommendations. They may not think it is do-able, or will say that just so you move up to a more expensive bass.
  5. Some of the older Lark basses are actually not the heap you may think. Some folks think that the mid 70's to early 80's Larks are as good or better than the Fenders ofthe same vntage. I agree with everybody else here---------- either let someone work on it that knows what they aredoing,or LEAVE IT ALONE . Stick a new high quality pickup in it,get it set up the correct way, and you just may have a very playable bass.
  6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Larks are an older bass - and they are passive. I can't imagine why you would want to try adding a preamp. Since you used the term "dynamic" I suspect you are not very familiar with working on basses or the terminology associated with it.

My suggestion is the same as those above: get a good setup. You may have a problem with pickup height, or you may have a pickup that's developing a problem - or perhaps a pickup is somewhat microphonic and what you're hearing is the result of standing close to your amp. Tell whoever works on it of your concern and see what they say.

Personally, I'd leave the bass stock unless you need to modify it to make it playable.
  7. sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Just picked bought a Lark from GoodWill. Does anyone have/know where I can get some more information on them? Ill post pics/review when I recieve the bass next week!:hyper: