Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass for $400 to $600

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SilveRKidd19, Sep 30, 2001.

1. SilveRKidd19

SilveRKidd19

Sep 28, 2001
    New York
    Hello, I am a Bass player who has been playing for about 6 or 7 months. I think it is about time for a new Bass with a very nice sound because before I had bought the Ibanez Jump Start Pack. Can you give me some names of a good sounding bass for around $400 to $600. Thanx;) :)

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Let me be the first to welcome you to Talkbass, and also be the first to mention the MTD Kingston, one of the favourites in that range among us Talkbassers it would seem. Look into the Mexican-made Fender Jazz basses as well.

3. Old Blue

Old Blue

Mar 18, 2000
    Texas
    If you're willing to consider a used bass, your money will get you a LOT more instrument than buying new. In your price range, the Fender American Std Jass and Precision basses are widely available on the used market. The Jazz is growlier, and the P is thumpier - but either way, you'll get a bass that's the industry standard and could last you for the rest of your playing days.

4. actually, again i will state, if you are looking more for a jazz bass tone(which happens to be my preference usually) find yourself an MTD beast, the Kingston's are nice, but the beasts area all around better from my experience, and i believe basscentral has a blowout on them for nearly as cheap as Kingstons, i wish that had happened before i bought mine.

5. MTD Kingston, all the way. If those things had been around 18 months ago, I would never have wasted my time with Dean.

6. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I'm gonna go against the grain and throw in the suggestion of a Cort Curbow. I have a four string Curbow and I love it. I think the tone is great and its very affordable. I got mine used on eBay for 250, so then with the left over money you could replace the pickup or get a new preamp. Or you could buy a new one.

Just my two cents.

7. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Don't the Curbow's come with Barts Alx564? I was in mars the other day and the few that I tried had bart's for pickups. Also are they good for the money? I liked the ones that I played.

8. beast for 450, thats gotta be one of the biggest steal of a lifetime, if you like a decent jazz, thats comfortable to play, good sounding get a beast incredible value for the money, i can't believe it, if i had that price i would have saved 250 yet i still am happy with the value i got for my money, Beasts are great, but don't take my word alone, go play one, snappy punchy great tone control, and plays like butter.

9. Anyone find Cort Curbows a little uncomforatble to play sitting down?? just curious..

..... just a thought.. Carvin or Warmoth? I've spec'd out some nice ones that were around the 6-700 range.. I did spec out my dream p-bass for $650.. trick will be putting it together :) Eh, no big thing.

10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a good deal. i wonder if gard can match it. ;)

11. i believe beasts are going to be discontinued(lord knows why, great basses, its a shame) so there are all sorts of closout prices on em

12. how about a Yamaha?

13. a motorbike? oh wait, I get it

14. Jon In VA

Jon In VA

May 28, 2001
    Chesapeake, VA
    I'll sell you mine for $600...(see post in classified section..)

15. I'd go second hand.

But I will also recomend the ibanez soundgear range, if you liked the ibanez you had...

I played one for the first time last week, and it was a rocking bass, speedy neck, nice active circuitry, and very cheap, for all its features.