Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass for a Newbie..?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Betyouaint, Apr 6, 2003.

1. Okay... I've been playing rythmn and lead 6 string for around 15 years now but unbelieveably have never held a bass in my life, let alone played one. After some time away from the band scene some of the old guys want to reform and do some rock and blues. Unfortunately our ex-bass player, JP, has decided he don't wanna play so I've decided to take the plunge and do the bass thing. I'm buying the Trace Elliot amp from JP but his bass is way out of my price range so I thought I'd go way down market and find something cheap and cheerful... really cheap and cheerful..!!! Let's face it.. I still have a Marlin Sidewinder from when I was 17 so I've never been a guitar snob. I've had a quick look on eBay but would like some opinions on a reasonable budget bass. Remember, I'm looking at spending as little as possible but don't want a piece of crap...

Suggestions please...?

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Essex would be a good choice. You might want to read the Essex Bass Guitar Megathread. Tons of good info there. They can be had for as little as $100US and sound like a MIM Fender. Other alternatives are Squire, Yamaha, and used Fenders.

Welcome to the dark side. ;)

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Squier P

MIM Fender P

Ibanez GSR 200

Essex any model.

Warwick Rockbass

-------------------------------------------------

That should do you quite well

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    there are MANY threads here pertaining to low/begginer basses ,do some research and make a list of well liked and highly recomonded ones,the guys/girls here really have a good general idea of whats good or not for all levels of playing,since you were a guitarist already you can tell a decent made instrument,now its its just a matter of what actual style that would be best for a beginner(neck width,p-up configuration ,playability, etc)good luck there are a few good choices
    me personally i say fender mex or used fender japan ,or if you are real low on scratch fender squire ,or if things are real bad,a used fender squire
    will get the job done quite nicely if you get one of the better years(some year squires are a little better made and sounding than others,though all are decently made) good luck:bassist:

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Word.

6. I tried out quite a few today but couldn't really split them. Even after 15 years on a 6 string my judgement of tonal quality is somewhat questionable. In the end I went for a Tanglewood Warrior II (sort of a Warwick copy I think). Looks good... sounds good... but what would I know...? :D

7. haplo07

haplo07 Guest

Apr 13, 2002
    Tinley Park, IL

WHAT???? i'm surprised no one mentioned OLP.