1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass for b-day...help me decide!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fordkisskrazy, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Hey all my kids want to get me a new bass for my birthday today, I went to GC to check some out and I'm leaning toward the sub series Ray5 string,but played a schecter stiletto extrem 4(wanted to play the 5 but the neck is bowed bad!) It sounded great but some one bought it. they brought me out another one it sounded weak. Not anything like the 1st one. Is that common for schecter?
    I know the sub series aint the real deal and the string spacing is narrow and would take some getting use to but it sure sounds good to me. I don't like black bass's though.
    Opinions on these two would be great please. Or other bass's in the $350 to $400 range. Oh I play through a Acoustic B300H and a Acoustic B115MKII cab. (ya I like cheap gear)Lol. Thanks

2. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Howzabout THIS:

86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737b2ccde488ca3.

Or Maybe THIS:

86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737b2ccde488ca3.

Their street price at GC is $499.95, but during the Columbus Day Weekend Sale, you should be able to get one for around $425.00~!

Just an idea!

3. Thanks Eldoryder and edencab, the fenders don't interest me, have enough of them and squiers in the herd.
    I have the t bird already. Made it passive.
    I appreciate your help. The kids decided for me though, they showed up with the Sub Ray5. I'm happy with it, sounds great, feels great. Now I have the Ray 4 and the Ray5. Never played a 5 string but I'm always willing to try new things.
    Thanks again.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Those SUB Rays are really nice. They are a bargain in my view. If you can get used to the sting spacing that is a LOT of bass for the money.

5. edencab

edencab

Aug 14, 2013
    Toronto, On
  6. they got the black with maple neck n fret board. I'm just not a big fan of all black. Bass is black,pick guard is black, and the knobs are black....well they were, I had some chrome ones laying around and they went on after the new strings. Lol.
    I have a sub ray 4 in the light green, I really like it. Bought it on a wim and it has become my go to bass. The fender deluxe active p (which I got just 3 weeks before) has set for the last 2 months. The 5er plays even better, sounds more even over all the strings. Just seems to sound better over all. And the neck just feels,well. Like it was made to fit my hand! Best 5 string neck I've tryed, havent tryed alot but the 6 or 7 I did felt to thin or to thick and wide, and I have big hands! Ya they did good. I'm proud of them and waaaay happy with the bass.