1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

New bass for band

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aerosmithfreak, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Aerosmithfreak

Aerosmithfreak

Dec 3, 2010
    Have a peavey 115 TNT amp and a basic p bass but the bass puts out a bad sound to it but I'm going to be getting a new bass for Christmas what kind would be best for my band sound ? We play types of music like Skillet to John Mayer to Aerosmith. Maybe a fretless ? Idk. Help me out please.

2. What kind of "bad sound"? It could be as simple as finding the EQ settings that work for you, or maybe you just don't like the tone you get from a P configuration. Your best bet would be to go to a guitar shop and try out different types of bass. Try a Jazz, a P, and maybe something active with EMG's. A fretless probably isn't the way to go if you like rock. I think the guy from Skillet uses a Schecter, so play a few of those and see if you like it.

3. Aerosmithfreak

Aerosmithfreak

Dec 3, 2010
    It's a crackle sound and I can't go half way volume on my guitar because then the amp goes crazy. It sounds as if I can't turn my amp volume up because the light goes red and it sounds like the amp will crack of I go any higher and it sounds really bad.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You should really be trying out different amps. A really good amp will make an okay bass sound much better than a cheapie amp. Maybe try a matching extension cab to your current Peavey.
    If your current bass is crackling, simply get it cleaned and setup.

5. Aerosmithfreak

Aerosmithfreak

Dec 3, 2010
    What's a good blues bass guitar and bass preset for the amp ?

6. Kramsey

Kramsey

Feb 9, 2008
    Denton, TX
    +1 for getting it cleaned and set up. Even if you do get a new bass then you will have 2 :D

It looks like you are interested in a wide variety of music. My advise to you would be to find a bass that you absolutely love to play. I know it sounds cliche' but I have always played basses that I love and use eq and pedals to "fit the sound" for what I am playing.

The bass that you pick will not define you as a player...YOU define you as a player. Your ability, how much you are willing to practice, etc. Find a bass that you want to bring along for the ride and let people associate whatever bass you play with you, not the other way around.

I would stay away from the Fretless for now. They are sexy for sure, but I don't think it will be as useful as a fretted. Also, check out what your favorite bass players play and copy them!

Hope this helps.

7. xUptheIronsx

xUptheIronsx Conform or Be Cast Out....

Feb 6, 2010
    C-ville, Col, Ohio
    you can't go wrong with a P-bass for blues...or anything for that matter

...BUT I think any bass can handle the blues...it is the players style interpretation that is going to have the biggest effect. You could own a 62 P-bass with a classic Bassman 50 watt head...and if you don't know the blues style, it will sound like crap

...get a bass that fits your hands and body first, and an amp that makes sense from a monetary, weight, and flexibility standpoint. Once you have this, you can play any style properly after you have learned it

I have a '72 P-bass and a amp rack that is powered by a Yamaha P3500S coming out of an Avatar 4x10 cab. I use it for everything from DC-era Hardcore Thrash to Rush covers to jazz to pit orchestra gigs.

8. gitlvr

gitlvr

Nov 13, 2009
    No. Va., USA
    You mention "the light goes red". Do you mean a light on your amp?
    If so, this may be a clipping indicator on the amp itself. Unless the bass has really strong active electronics, or there's something really bad wrong with the bass, it shouldn't be clipping your amp(if this is indeed the case).
    If I were you, I'd try another bass in that amp, to eliminate the possibility that the problem is there, and not the bass. It would suck to get a new bass, only to find the problem's with the amp. Alternatively, try the bass in another amp, and see if you get the same problems.
    Crackling when you turn the volume up on the bass indicates the possibility of a bad volume pot. They are easy to replace. As a matter of fact, unless there's something wrong with the pickup, then if the problem is the bass, you probably need to replace the pots and/or jack. Not very expensive, nor is it hard to do.

9. soulman969

soulman969 Banned

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Yes, I'd say the problem is coming from the bass end of things. Let's start with something really simple and do process of elimination. How is your cord? What happens when you turn up the bass volume? If one of your guitarists plugs into your bass amp what happens? If you plug into a different amp what happens.

Isolate the problem that way. It may be a bad cord, pot or wiring on the bass. When an amp clips like yours is doing the source is usually the bass and a short somewhere causing a spike in the input. Good luck!

10. TheDuke13

TheDuke13

Apr 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    SPECTOR!!

11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Bring your rig into a store. Try the bass with different amps and different basses with the amp you have. Try a different cable too. Isolate the problem and ask the shop for an estimate to fix it. Not much point in buying a new bass only to find out that the problem is in the amp. It will probably be cheaper to fix the bass than to get a new one anyway.

As for what bass to get, if you do decide to get a new one - there is no one right answer. No one make of bass is THE bass for any one genre of music. What's more important is how you like its particular sound and feel, and that's purely your own taste. Try out different basses in the store and get the one you like that's in your budget.

12. try a diferent cable also
    borrow a bass from a bud and try it out on your amp
    your bass might be just fine

13. XtheDeadPawn

XtheDeadPawn

May 24, 2008
    Texas
    Your wrong saustindavis John Cooper the front man/basstst of Skillet uses a Traben as seen in their video for "Hero".

He is seen using a 5 string Traben Pheonix in it which if you plan to buy new good luck finding one as Trabens weren't very high selling in the US as in other parts of the world. So I'd advise looking overseas for one (Google is your friend).

14. pgolliher

pgolliher

Apr 27, 2010
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Definitely go to a store with your bass and amp to find out which one is the issue. I would also suggest a third option of trying out a preamp/DI pedal in your chain, like the Sans Amp Bass Driver. (there are also options from Auguilar and Eden, etc). I keep a Sans Amp in my bag just in case I ever have to play through a venue supplied backline amp. It really makes those TNTs sound much better and you can adjust the gain so it won't peak out your amp.

15. Marko 1

Marko 1

Mar 9, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    Whatever you do or buy, don’t sell the P…

you’ll likely end up going back to it.

16. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Have the bass examined by a qaulified repair person. prob needs new pots or other electronics. What kind of neck do you prefer? If the neck, fretwork, etc of the bass is otherwise nice in your opinion, then repalcing the pups and electronics can be good upgrade. For nicer lower price basses the Ibanez SR300 is very hard to beat. The Esp Ltd B154dx would be other best lower price bass I know of.

17. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    This thread is like asking what color of underwear we like to wear. LOL A little too open ended, no offense.

Most have already said it...try out different ones. Many people will preach Fender on here but if you can try out other bass guitars, I highly recommend them. Warwick, Carvin, Lakland, Spector...they all have their own sound, balance and feel.

For me personally...I prefer balance to a bass. The longer the upper horn I find the easier it is to play and reach up the neck. Fenders...don't have good balance IMO. Also, upper octave flexibility is important as well to me. A 24 fret bass is going to have much more flexibility than a 21 fret Fender. And last, neck profile and string spacing are biggies for most of us. You just gotta go by feel for that one...

18. Wow, good think I used the qualifier "I think"...