Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New Bass for me!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brendan, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, I made the trek up to Bass Central today. I met, hung out, and had lunch w/ Gard, who is one very cool individual, might I add.

I had 500 bucks to spend, and I was not dissapointed. After taking some recommendations from you guys, I set my sights on a nice 5er. Which is now sitting IN MY LAP.

But what Did I get?

MTD Kingston 5er, in a Crimson/Wine Red, and Rosewood fretboard. It has the single MM style Pup in mid, with one volume and one tone. I'm not too worried about limited tones, I only really ever use one.

This bass freakin rocks! The B is like you guys said: absolutely killer. It's probably one of the bes B strings I've played, period. The string spacing is only a wee tighter than I like, so I'm adjusting fast (already have, in fact). The zero fret helps it stay more even when playing open notes, and the neck is almost flat, giving me almost NO buzz after a couple of minor tweaks to the saddles. It's a great bass, and I already love it to death.
    And I even like the color. I wanted black, and went up thinking that if it wasn't in black, I'd just order one if I liked them. Then I was smitten by this red. I have yet to see any pics that do it justice.

Speaking of pics:

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    and the headstock:

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    and the "long shot" stupid one attachemnt dealy-

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    what a nice bass, brendan!

5. It's mighty purdy! Congrats! :D

6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    me like!does MTD stand for Michael Tobias Designs???

7. wow, I haven't seen that color on a Kingston before!

Very nice! Congrats!

8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Congrats! Beautiful bass, and it sounds like a great deal! (Well...except for that lunch with Gard ;);))

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Nice bass man!:D

I am really seriously considering one of these in a fretless version. I want a fretless in the near future, but I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg to get one. I think the Kingston or the Heir might be just what I am looking for.

Slap in a Basslines pup and preamp and I'll be set.;) (I like active electronics)
    I have to talk to Gard about a new Spector anyway, so I think I'll check into one of these at the same time.

Ryan

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep yep. And the cool thing is that in person, the color is pretty much dead same. The headstock is darker, like the body though. And it balances really well.

Oh, and in case you're dying to know, it's on our pool table with the cover on, and the book holding it up in the "long shot" is Kiss Me Judas. :D

11. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, at least I won't have to worry about having to have lunch with him. I live at the opposite side of the country, so I just have to talk to him on the phone.;) :D

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
  13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i still dont know,what MTD stand for?

14. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    MTD=Michael Tobias Designs

15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
  16. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    VERY cool! It's nice to see such a kick ass bass at a modest price. Rock on!

17. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Hey Brendan,
    Did you happen to check out the black fretless 5 that is on their website?? Or wasn't it there when you were?

Damn GAS is building..........Thanks a lot Brendan.:(

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    nope. No black fretli when I was up there.

You think YOU have GAS...I spent te day playing Warwicks, Zons, Laklands, Pedulla's, Roscoe's, Alembics, Kevin Smiths, Moduli, some nice Tobias', not to mention the MTD that I got.

Oh, and on the subject, the green/blue/teal Pedulla Pentabuzz fretless...well...I want it to have my babies. :D that thing was the most fun to play, of nearly any of the basses I've ever played, fretless or not. Hubba hubba!...now I just need a whole lotta dough...

19. Ryan L.

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I just emailed Gard about one of them, and a Spector NS5CRFM. Maybe I'll get a deal if I order 2 basses at once.:D Or not.

Anyways, nice bass Brendan. Let me know how well you like it after you have had more of a chance to play it for awhile.