Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

New bass for my birthday?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Aug 4, 2001.

1. will be on its way, as soon as I decide what I want.
    I'm thinking either:
    New bass
    New amp
    Digital recorder
    or
    [anything else I might think of later]

And my birthday was way back in March.
    I originally intended to get a new amp for my birthday, and then Tom Lee's went and started stocking Warwicks. Then I had my eye set on a Streamer Jazzman, but couldn't quite decide, and especially after seeing the price tag on it (HK$10,400), I realized that I'd probably have to pay for at least half of it if I wanted to get it for my birthday.
    So, I started looking at amps, but then...getting an amp in Hong Kong NOW would be kinda stupid, since I'll more than likely be going to college in the US, and the plugs & voltages are different...

Then I come to the US over summer, visit a few stores, and now I find a Spector NS 2000 Q5 (or Q4, if I'd rather get a 4 string) for $495, and my mom tells me if I get anything here, it has to be within $500. Great, 5 bucks under, I meet the price requirement! :D

But then...I can't decide if I really want the Spector, or if I'd rather save up longer or pay for half the Warwick.
    I've played both, and I like 'em both...
    and buying both is not an option for me.

So...what do you guys think? Any opinions on which is better? Any preferances? I cannot personally decide which one I'd rather get, so I'd like to know the pros & cons of 'em both, if you guys could help me out with that.
    I know some already, though. Like the Warwick has MECs, and the Spector has EMGs & stuff...

2. Well looking at your profile, bass wise I think your good with the '62 Jazz RI.. I'd say get a new amp.

3. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah I say get a new amp man. That 62' jazz reissue sounds like a killer... its hard to beat that. that is just me though..

Peace

4. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I third that issue on the new amp. A good amp can make a good bass sound even better.

5. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    you get $500 for your birthday?!?! greez

6. Yeah, the first thing I wanted was a new amp.
    BUT...I also have to take into consideration the fact that I'll be going to college soon, and if I get an amp in Hong Kong, if I wanted to bring it with me I'd ned a voltage converter, as well...and if I didn't, I'd have to get one with my own money in college.

Or...
    I could get a pretty nice amp on my own when I get back to Hong Kong on the 15th, because I'll have about HK$5,100 in the bank, and with that I'll be closer than half way to a nice amp. All I'd have to do is wait about a month without spending much money, and I could probably get an 8x8 cab + head, but I'm not sure. I forgot how much that thing costs in Hong Kong. :oops:

But then again, thinking in the same way, a new bass would be pointless if it's a nice one, because I wouldn't bring it with me to college for fear of it getting stolen, in which case I'd just leave it in Hong Kong and play it when I go back during major holidays & stuff, or I could bring it over when I get an apartment or something.

Man...I don't think I've ever had so much trouble just over thinking about what to get for my birthday from my parents. :p

7. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If I were you I'd get an amp when you go to America. You have a nice enough bass already and I'm not sure if the Spector or Warwick will keep up with your '62 RI.

I was pretty worried about my bass being stolen when I went to college last year but as long as you have a nice little talk with your roommate about locking the door when you leave you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't go around telling everyone you have an expensive instrument in your room. In the worst case scenario where your bass does get stolen you should be covered by your parents home owner's insurance. If not, it would be a good idea to get some insurance.

8. Eh...
    I'm not too sure I'm following you on this one...
    What exactly do you mean by "won't keep up with"?

9. I think he means that most of us here on talk bass (well, ok, maybe just me and some other old fender buffs... :)) would be really happy with that 62RI jazz bass (I REALLY know that I would be :D) and that neither of those two instuments are really up to par soundwise or otherwise (of course, this is in the eyes of a big fan of fender stuff) so you would be better off getting the new amp and keep playing through that '62 RI Jazz... or if you get tired of it, send it to me and I'll give it a good home :D:D:D

oh, I know this is only kind of related, but why play through a whole bunch of little speakers? Maybe its just me, but I am really in love with the sound of 1 or 2 BIG speakers in a cabinet.. for some reason I think guitars should be played through such things :) Hey, its your cash man, but I can only say how happy I am now that I have my Accoustic 370 head and 301 bottom (1 big 18" woofer speaker facing backwards)... especially when I've got a preamp hooked up to get it sounding a bit more modern (the accoustic has a very vintage sound, its a '74 after all :)) and hell, I got it on ebay for less then $550 all together (not including s/h).. I guess it depends on the kind of music you play, thats just my .02 :D

10. Haha...don't get me wrong now, I LOVE that Fender, but I dunno, I think I'm more of an active electronics kinda guy, even though I can still get some great tones out of that Fender.

But something else I've realized while going through the Spector & Warwick pages is...do I want a 2 band or 3 band eq?

Like I said earlier, I've tried both basses and I really like both basses...but the Warwick's 3-band and the Spector's 2-band.

Hmm...decisions decisions...
    and then I'd also like it if I could get a neck-through bass, but...the Streamer Jazzman doensn't come in neck-through, and I don't know if Gelb has an NS 2000/4 or 2000/5 in stock...

ARGH!
    I've got GAS, but it's a very picky kind of GAS...and I'm not too sure what I want. :p

11. being picky is always good, it means that you come away feeling good about what you bought because you thought it through.. or your like me and fake thoughtfulness and end up buying something for the hell of it after a long period of not really debating it with yourself :D

I'd say go with the amp, OR :eek: if you like active, get yourself a J-retro preamp for your bass, or some variation there of.. that is what I am going to do with my Fender Jazz, hotrod that baby up a bit, and the j-retro runs around $200 :D:D Mmmmmm new gear *drool* but then again, I'll never need another amp ever again (see above post! :eek:!!)

12. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    I feel your pain man, I have a very smelly kind of GAS :D. I would personally go with the amp. Think about how much you'll be giggin' in college, how much ya' want to lug around for those gigs, and if ya' need another bass. Ya' already got three, I'd think I was in heaven if I had three basses. The voltage thing would be a pain so I'm with Phat Ham, wait till ya' get over here to America and get one here. Hell, ya' might even find a good one used. Have fun.

After lookin' at your profile again, aren't ya' little young to be movin' to America to go to college. Your a good year 'n' half older than me and I'm only goin' to be a sophomore.

13. I'm going to college next summer, and this coming school year is gonna be my senior year.
    So no, I don't think I'm a little young to be going to college. :D

14. spyde223

spyde223

Apr 11, 2000
    Dumas, Texas
    My bad, sorry if I offended you in any way.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    What HWK2 said.

If you want active electronics you could always get an outboard preamp such as an Aguilar OBP-1 or Sadowsky. That way you don't have to get a new bass and you don't have to modify anything on your Jazz.

I just read your profile and it says you have a 25 watt amp. If you plan on playing in college you'll probably want an amp that can provide all of the bass' volume by itself. From my experiences in college you're almost never going to have the luxury of a good PA, so going direct isn't going to be of much help.

16. Hmmm...you know, I never thought of it that way...:oops:

As for the whole "going direct" thing...I don't speak too much technical bass, what exactly d'you mean by all that? :confused:

17. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey... just to spice up the mix again... i know that you could get a power converter for pretty cheap... its a simple electrical device and im sure you could get one from an electronics store either in HK or in the US without spending too much cash. That way you can get your amp now and still use it when you come out to the us... where are you going to college out here?

18. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Don't forget a lot of amps are switchable 120/220VAC. What does HK use?

19. I assume he means going direct as in going from your guitar to an amp to a cab.. at 25 watts your going to be underpowered if you plan to play with a band.. and without the added pa system, your bass if going to be very quiet compared to all those crazy guitar players out there :(

20. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    By going direct I mean going direct to the board (mixer). Going direct means your bass is going through the PA, so if you have a good PA it can provide all of the bass and your amp can serve as a moniter. But with a bad (or no) PA going direct doesn't help much, and it can actually make the mix sound worse by taking away from the vocals and other instruments.

As for the voltage thing, I know Hong Kong is 220 or 240 volts, but I think it is also 50 hz, while the U.S. is 60 hz. It's easy to get a transformer to change voltages, but to change the number of cycles is a pain. I don't know too much about this kind of stuff, but I think you would end up having to get a new power supply for your amp if you wanted it to work at its best in both countries.