New bass for newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mvk, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mvk

Jan 30, 2005
    Hi All, I am currently in the market for a db. I play a slab for a fledgling bluegrass group. Since playing an electric for bg is almost sacrelege I have been encouraged to look in to a db. I played one at a bg festival and once I got the hang of what I was doing Ifelt I could do this. I found a E'hardt EM-1 for about $900w/free shipping and a used EC-1 local for about 700. Is this a good route or should I keep looking? mvk
  2. As a fellow BG'er let me the first to welcome you to TB. Reading these postings on a regular basis ought to be enough to earn College will learn a lot, I know I do every day.

And to beat everybody else to the punch, I'd advise to spend a bunch of time on the Newbie threads on the top of the page, they will help.

Englehardt basses for bluegrass? Absolutely, but there are some issues to be aware of, and set up is the key with all DB's. Generally it is much preferable to buy a bass from a luthier who can perform these services for you. I don't know your location from your profile, so can't advise you there, but set up makes all the difference in the world.
  3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I had an ES9. I thought it was a decent bass.

The used bass may be a a better deal for sure.

* Less money to start.
    * Possibly has some setup work already completed
    * "Played In" a bit and starting to open up.
    * you might get a decent set of strings with some life in them
    * You get chance to see it before you buy it.

FWIW, the structure of all Engelhardt basses is the same. The only difference is that they use better looking woods on those basses planned for transparent finishes.

The difference is in the fingerboard and tailpiece woods. The S1 and S9 (swingmaster blonde) also have ebony fittings, which in the long run, may be worth it if the bass will be played a ton. The wood is simply harder and wears better. The M series may have rosewood and the C series is probably "ebonized" hardwood of varying species. Ebonized is a facy way to say dyed black.

Tonally, you'll find good ones and bad ones without regard to the model # stamped on them. They all have the same tuners, endpin, bridge, etc.

If you can get a luthier to give it the onceover before you buy, it'd be a good idea. He or she would at least give you some sense of what you are getting into.

If you go new, you should earmark at least a few hundred bucks for neck work, bridge fit and a decent set of strings.
  4. mvk

Jan 30, 2005
    Thanks guys for the info. Looks like I will have to find a luthier in the Knoxville, TN area that will set one of these puppies up for me. Apparently these guys dont advertise so I will have to depend on word of mouth to find one, eh.
  5. Check.... for a complete world-wide luthier directory!
    Good luck!
  6. "Apparently these guys dont advertise so I will have to depend on word of mouth to find one, eh."

Oh no.....another wannabe Canadian....
  7. There are several folks in the Nashville area who do setup work. Dustin Williams, David Harvey, and Jim Ferguson to name a few.