new bass for old player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matante, Nov 3, 2003.

1. matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    i'm new and would like some advice please. i haven't played in over four years and had pretty much forgotten about the musician in me.

a friend of mine decided to throw away his old four-track and drum machine, but instead deciced to give them to me so they wouldn't go to waste. the problem is, i don't even have a bass. i used to have a p-bass which i hated because i have very small hands.

anyway, i'm considering buying a bass so i can play around with some old four-track tapes i made as a teenager and maybe actually finish some of those songs!

i don't have much money to spend but i'm considering the squier bronco bass because of its short scale and low price ($150 online).

i guess i'm asking if anyone knows of a good short-scale bass buy around. i'm not picky about looks but i can't stand noisy seems the choices out there are pretty limited. thanks in advance.
  2. jazzcatb17

Dec 27, 2002
    Louisville, Ky
    The only shortscale rondo has is $300, if you dig the bronco, i'd go with that. I've played one before, and though it wasnt the best playing bass in the world, it was definately a groovy little piece. That said, my personal vote would be danolectro longhorn bass, but really that isnt everyones thing, and the pickups can be noisy.
  3. odie

odie Supporting Member

How big are you?? Female or male. Alot of lil' ladies have played on Fenders. I would suggest a Jazz bass. Fretless is a consideration.
  4. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    E-mail kurt at Rondo and ask him when they will be getting more of th short scale p-bases in stock. They have gotten two runs of them completly sold out, so I'm sure they will be getting more. when they get them, they will be around $100 and they are great
  5. Oddie, I'm 5'7 but I play both.

A jazz bass would be the ticket, but $150.00 budget kinda makes the jazz out of reach.

Maye the Rogue basses are a possiblility.

Ley us know what you decide!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Like Freaky Fender said, go to and order an SX Jazz bass. I have an SX P bass, and it is a killer P copy for $99. And this is coming from somebody who owns basses that list for over $3000.
  7. matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    thanks for all the quick responses. i'm glad i asked. i'm male and 5'10" but i have small hands and short fingers.

i thought of the jazz bass copy but the nut is slightly wider than a standard jazz and i'm put off by the 34 1/2" scale length. their short scale bass is out of my price range.

i'll let you know what i choose but i think the bronco is still the front runner. do they make short scale jazz basses?

noisy pickups will drive me crazy and i don't want to have to replace them (more $$$).
  8. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If you hate noisy pickups, don't get the bronco, it's as noisy as they come. I bought one for my son, and had to mod it all over the place. It rocks now, but it took a while.
  9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I was browsing in a music store today and noticed that Hamer had a 32 inch scale bass. It was realtively light as well. Didn't appeal much to me but it may suite you (I prefer P-basses). I should also add that I am even smaller than Treena, by about an inch :), but still manage to play both Precisions and Jazzes with no problem. Maybe you need to cruise a few music stores and try several different brands so you can get an idea of what you like. Some of the low end Yamaha's can be gotten for a reasonable amount online. They are comfortable to play.

Dan :bassist:
  10. matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    i don't think height has anything to do with it. i have a girl cousin who is 5'3" and has bigger hands than i do. (and hers don't look that big on her) i really have very small hands.

i'm looking at the hamer right now on a different website. it looks good, and if i'm not mistaken, hamer is a good brand. it costs $200 which is the very limit of what i can spend. i'm going to look for it locally. any opinions on hamer?

thanks again. everyone's been very helpful.
  11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You might be suprised what small hands are capable of. My hands are below average size, but what really handicaps me is that my fingers are very short and stubby. I play 35" scale 5 and 6 stringers pretty well.

Another of our moderators, John Turner, has small hands(smaller than mine, IIRC) and has no problem playing 34" and 35" 7 and 8 string basses.
  12. jieshi

Mar 26, 2002
    seeing what embellisher said . i am tempted and on my way to buying a pbass :eek:
  13. I've played one of those was alright for a beginner may want to consider a strap too for sitting down, as it doesn't balance very well. But it was a'ight.

I also own an SX fretless Jazz, and they are wonderful instruments!
  14. Hey if anyone is looking for a nice short scale bass, go to rondo music website. I was just looking around there, and there is an EB0 copy. only about $200, so if you are a big Gibson fan (like Me) check that out. Hey, if it works for Jack Bruce, it works for me

15. I say go with the usual 34" scale. I know a girl that's mayb 5'3" with really small hands (she looks like she has trouble reaching across 2 frets in 2nd position between her index and ring fingers), but she plays a 34" scale and she's better than me, and i can reach 3 frets in first position between those fingers. So yeah, it's more about how much you practice than your hand size.
  16. matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    why is everyone against short-scale basses? size issues? i like the fact that they are smaller and lighter, and yes, i can play a long scale (i played p-basses for years), but why do it if a short-scale is more comfortable?

i'm a bass player, not a guitarist who switched to bass, but i always thought the electric bass was oversized for no apparent reason. i used to have a beatle bass copy that was broken in pieces while i was out of the country, and i really liked that one. although it really only had one sound, it was a good solid one.

in the end, music comes from the heart, and i think one's equipment should be there to serve them, not the other way around. i want to express myself musically, and short-scale basses help you do it in comfort (and style).

clef, has your friend tried a short-scale bass? not everyone has. she might prefer it.

i'm sounding like a commercial, but no one has offered a reason why 34" scale is better.
  17. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Rondo is expecting a new shipment in before Thanksgiving, and the $100 short scale bass should be back in stock, as will more jazz bass copies. I don't have real big hands, but I can't feel the difference between standard Fender necks and the Essex neck.

I've got three SX jazzes, and I'll be picking up a short scale for my son when they come in.

Glenn D.
  18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I get that with the 34 vs. 35 low 'B'. I've never needed a 35" scale to have a tight, focused 'B'

Anyway, Lots of people love short scale basses! Mike Watt (resident Pro) switched to short scale. Stu Hamm prefers a shorter scale. Stanley Clarke. Alembic has made MANY high priced short scale basses. etc etc etc.
  19. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I've jammed with my band a couple of times with that bass and it is pretty good for the money. It looked solid and well built. Its fretboard was a little iffy though, rough and not properly filed. The bass has a really thin neck. Sound wise, nothing special in my opinion. The pickups are a little noisy though(I plugged it into an Ampeg BA-115). Hope this helps.