new bass: good or bad?

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by Mr_Highschool, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Mr_Highschool

Sep 19, 2005
    hey mike,
    for the past month or so, i have been playing an old peavy bass, belonging to my school, and i was going to purchase a new one and i was going to get a douglas 6string. the one on ebay. i was wondering if that was a good choice for a new bass because my band director said i should get a fender or a peavy. i didn't really take his advice to heart because i don't much like fender, and the peavy that i've been playing isn't all that good. i know he's had a ton of expirience, but i heard that all his stuff is fender, and peavy, or something like that. i'm not sure.
    some help would be much apreciated,
    thanx much,
  2. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005

I'm not Mike Watt, but I'll telll ya this - if it feels good to ya and sounds right, that's all that really matters - if it looks good too, that don't hurt neither. Not sure how you'll tell this about an ebay bass, unless you've got to try one elsewhere?

Are you sure you want a 6-string????

more strings does not = better
  3. Mr_Highschool

Sep 19, 2005
    i don't know about the more strings not being better, because i always wish i could play lower. but with a 4 string, it's physically impossible to play anything lower than an E. and i play a lot of song that require notes lower than that, and i feel stupid playing an E-flat as an E. (i cheat like that sometims.)
    i wouldn't mind only having a 5 string with a low B, but i found a string, and it looked really nice. and the reviews on it are pretty convincing that it's a good bass.Douglas 6 string Bass on Ebay

check it out for yourself, i need as much help on this as i can get. but mostly i just want to know it was a good deal, and i'm not getting a huge rip off.

Thanx for the help,
    Mr. Highschool
  4. What makes you think Mike Watt has played this bass in question? WHY don't you take this to the general basses forum, where you'd have a much better chance of finding someone who has actually played one, and you'd prolly get quicker replies that way, you think?!?!?

check out his page to see if he rocks a Brice. I didn't see one.
  5. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Actually an 'E' string can be tuned to any note you like. You could even tune a 4-string BEAD. All I'm really saying is, that just because it has a bunch of strings dosn't automatically make it a good or more professional bass.

Nonetheless, I can certainly see the desire for an extra lower string and played a 5-string for many years. I can't really see adding a higher string unless you plan on playing a lot in that register - like solo bass pieces and/or extensive soloing.

Take your time and play a bunch of basses and decide what you like. Personally I would not buy something off ebay unless I had some experience w/ it and knew it was exaclty what i wanted. Also, what I think is a great bass might just not work for you.

As suggested the 'basses' area would be a much better place for your question.

Good luck and remember the journey is a big part of the fun!
  6. vacuumchild

Aug 2, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah... Just like Watt did on the Engine Room album.

...Thread successfully moved on-topic!
  7. travatron4000

Dec 27, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just a note Mr_Highschool, You really can't play an E in stead of an Eb. Throwing a minor second into a chord where's it's not supposed to be is probabally a bad idea. I'd suggest just transposing up an octave. You could also play in Drop D if you need to go that low. You can also get heavier stings and tune DGCF or Eb Ab Db Gb. To switch all the way to BEAD takes some more work. You need nut and neck adjustments for that.

8. Uprightboy

Uprightboy Burney

Jul 20, 2006
    West Memphis, Arkansas
    I'm not Mike, either.
    Don't buy a peavey bass. Get a 5 string tuned BEADG. I love Fender Jazz Basses, but if you don't, try an Ibanez, Music Man (more$), Dan Electro(cool/inexpensive and can be converted to 5 string, now)... They all have different feels. I wouldn't suggest buying anything you have not played or heard of ,yet. Keep playing.
    P.S. Major 7ths sound cool, sometimes.
    _Burney Warren