New bass, got questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ShockerMan4x4, Dec 25, 2004.

1. ShockerMan4x4

Dec 25, 2004
    I bought a new Ibanez SRX500 about a week ago and I"m having some problems with it.

First of all, the strings buzz ALOT. I have the bridge set as far back as it will go and still all the strings really buzz on the frets.

Second, as I move up the neck, each fret seems to be more and more out of tune. On fret 12, for example, I'm almost a quarter step flat when the open string is perfectly in tune.

I don't know anything about the technical aspects of a guitar so I don't know if any of this is fixable or if something is maybe wrong with the bass. Anyone have any suggestions?
  2. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL

you should take it into a shop and ask for a setup. In the meantime, you can learn about how to setup the bass in the setup forum here.

First thing is to adjust the neck (small turns of the truss rod).
    Second is setup the action by moving the bridge saddles up or down. Third, is to adust the intonation by moving the saddles forward or backward so the notes up the board are in tune.
  3. Congrats. Don't worry about that. It could be anything from being left in cold temps or knocked around. A slight adjustment and set up will fix it. Have a guitar tech do it. Ibanez usually are set up nicely in the store.
  4. ShockerMan4x4

Dec 25, 2004
    ok, I'll go into the store sometime soon and see if they'll set it up for me and how much that will cost. I was a little worried that it was a design flaw in the bass but it seems like I just need to get it setup properly, thanks everyone!

what a relief
  5. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    if you moved the saddles around, you just succsefully took out the intonation.

sounds like a truss rod problem, or a fingering problem, and now intonation.
  6. Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yes, that's a good idea. Most likely, the bass is fine, it just needs the proper adjustments.
  7. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    a set up will fix the buzz, last time i took my bass in to have a setup it cost about 70 bucks, that was at guitar center, but that also included the cost of new strings, they usually make u buy new strings when u get ur bass set up, i guess its just their way of makin sum more cash off of you.
  8. RNG

Jan 9, 2004
    When you go up there. Ask them if they can show you or explain to you what they do. They might or they might not. But if they do, you will save time and money and be able to set-up them yourself. After I have a guitar/bass setup I NEVER change anything. Nor do I expose it to extreme temperature differences. You should try the same.
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    When you moved the saddles back,(bridge) THATS why your intonation is off above 12th fret.
  10. ...and that has squat to do with buzzing.
    If the notes are buzzing pretty evenly on every fret, that means the strings are too low and clipping the frets during their orbit, which is elliptacal (sp?). To get a clean note, you need to adjust the truss rod (a metal rod running most of the length of the neck which bends your neck forward and back, and IS NOT TO BE TOUCHED if you haven't been taught how to do so) or the saddles, which are the little barrel-looking things on your bridge. The little legs they stand on are threaded, and have a hex nut at the top, so you can turn them to raise or lower the saddles.
    The first time I cleaned the bridge of my first bass, I moved all the saddles into a line because I thought it looked better--not far from what you did. Then I learned that was wrong, and compensated. Welcome to the Eternal Tweak. :p
  11. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Moving the bridge forward and back just adjusts the intonation. It's up and down for action.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL